"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Friday- August 5

*First Line Friday at A Few More Pages.
*The Friday 56 at Freda's Voice.


Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo
The family trip when our nightmare began was supposed to be a celebration. ---Opening line.
"'Colton,' I began, 'do you know why you are in trouble?' "Yeah, because I didn't share,' he said...'That's right. You can't do that, Colton. You've got to treat people better than that.' Colton raised his eyes and looked at me. 'Yeah, I know, Dad, Jesus told me I had to be nice.' His words caught me by surprise. It was the way he said it : Jesus told me..." p. 56
This book is a very touching book about a four-year-old boy who has a life after death experience but comes back to tell others about what happened to him in Heaven.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Parajunkee
This week's featured blog is Hands and Home.  Congratulations!!!


This week's question:

Q. Talk about the book that most changed or influenced your life (was it a book that turned you from an average to avid reader, did it help you deal with a particularly difficult situation, does it bring you comfort every time you read it?). 

A.  The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis... I read the whole series as a child/adolescent and I loved them but I missed a lot of the symbolism which I caught when I reread the series as an adult.  I have since read the whole series to my (now grown) children when they were young and again when each new movie is released.  I love them. They really speak to my heart.

 


22 comments:

  1. Hi Anne,

    Great lines, especially the first one, which would really make me want to read on.

    I am guessing that I would have been able to see the synopsis by this stage however and probably wouldn't have gotten as far as the inside line, as I don't generally read biographies.

    The subject matter does interest me though, as there are just so many of this type of experiences recorded out there, that it can't just be coincidence, there has to be something in the whole phenomenon of out of body experiences, surely?

    I love the book cover as well!

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both excerpts are great, this sounds like a very interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower. I remember reading that child as a series. Come visit me over at Livre De Amour-Books of Love Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chronicles of Narnia is really awesome :)

    New Follower
    Check out my FF @http://le-grande-codex.blogspot.com/2011/08/follow-friday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I can imagine some of the events that will happen...road trips always bring out the best and the worst in family members. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  6. The excerpts make the book sound really good! Enjoy!

    Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/08/friday-memes.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That opening line certainly hooks you. Looks like a lovely little book, albeit slightly sad?

    http://thebookgatherer.blogspot.com/2011/08/book-beginningson-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww I never actually read the Narnia series, but I love the movies!! Hopefully one day I'll have time to read them :) Great choice!

    Here's my FF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Chronicles of Narnia are great. I wish I would've read them as a child. I think I would've enjoyed them more then and appreciated them more now if I had.

    ReplyDelete
  10. age 4 is such a cute age. wonder what the character ends up sharing from his experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. New follower!
    That's a great choice :)

    here's mine:
    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/08/follow-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Narnia series is certainly a classic. I'm a new follower.


    My Hop and Follow

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still haven't read Narnia actually. I really should, I just haven't gotten too it. Glad it's been special to you!

    Have a wonderful Friday! My answer can be found here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Narnia: In 6th grade our Language Arts teacher helped us notice the symbolism and allegory in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. I've been a fearless devourer of literature ever since. Can't thank Mrs. O'Connell enough for unlocking a whole new world.
    Glad we share this pivotal series in common.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hopping through. I still need to finish the Narnia books. I'm ashamed I haven't.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  16. I <3 The Chronicles of Narnia. The Magician's Nephew is my fave in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now I want to read the words. "It's the way he said the words." Hmmmm, I've heard about this book. First time I wanted to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great 56! Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love chronicles of narnia!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic choice! I loved those books! Thank you so much for taking the time to visit me at Hands and Home!

    Bonnie @ HandsAndHome

    ReplyDelete
  21. New follower here :) I loved the Chornicles of Narnia! Such wonderful books.

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    My Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.