"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, August 26, 2011

Friday- August 26

It's Friday.  Time for blogging fun.

*First Line Friday at A Few More Pages.
*The Friday 56 at Freda's Voice.

"Look up the Plaza Regent, Blink, in the shivery morning light. Count the floors---take your pick." -Opening lines
"And only when she feels her foot going to sleep does she decide to get up. It hurts. She has to lean on the tilted pony and shake the pins and needles out of her leg. 'Owww!' she cries out loud, and then laughs. There she was, expecting to be bludgeoned to death, and here she is now, moaning about a few shooting pains." -p. 56
"The sky over Kingston looks like someone stuck a giant syringe into it and sucked out all the color."---p.181 
"By the time you've waded to shore dragging that fool boat behind you, you're about as tired as a human can be. It's a deep tired, deeper than your bones. It's a give-up kind of tired."---p.257
I haven't even started this book yet, but by the opening line and the quote from page 56 I'm not even sure what to expect.  I have heard good things about the book, though, so I shall jump into it soon and find out. Interestingly, as I snooped around a bit more I notice that a lot of the book is written in second person. That is something that isn't often seen in YA Lit.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting perspective....hope you enjoy this one.

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great 56! I've been there and know that feeling all too well. Maybe not the bludgeoning part, but the pins and needles surely.
    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anne,

    Interesting to come across a YA book written in the second person, it will be interesting to see what you make of it.

    I have read a couple of YA books just lately and am amazed at the quality and maturity of the writing and plot-lines.

    This one sounds like a good gutsy read and I like the cover art.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing this book -- I think this is one of the most "under blogged" great books ever. I gave it a 5/5, and I just don't see many reviews of it. Here's my review:

    http://annettesbookspot.blogspot.com/2011/06/book-review-blink-caution-by-tim-wynne.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't really 'get' the opening :/... But I like the page 56 excerpt, its irony amused me. I don't think I've come across a story written in the second person before, so that should be a novel change - it's a real turn up for the books! (pun intended...I apologise for the cheesiness!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. the cover teases too with the gun shot holes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved those quotes. Enough so that I've already downloaded this book to my Kindle. The author sharing his last name with fellow author Diana Wynne-Jones didn't hurt either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great snippets! Sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    That's a very interesting 'Friday 56' quote. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.