"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Review: Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma


Oh my. Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma is such a suspenseful and sinister story. It is not the typical type of book that I read, though I enjoyed it immensely. This is Suma's first YA novel and she sure did a good job developing a novel that has a creepy, eerie feeling-tone that is both surreal and dreamlike, one that gets a hold of the reader early and builds through the climax.
Chloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for...After a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers a dead body floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away---away from home, away from Ruby. But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns home at last, she finds a precarious and deadly balance waiting for her. As Chloe flirts with the truth...the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.---from the book jacket
Ruby seems to have some special, supernatural powers which not only holds Chloe enthralled but seems to affect the whole town. However, this certainly isn't like any other paranormal book I've read recently. It takes a sinister look at sisterhood, devotion, and loyalty to the extreme.

I'm sure that this book will find broad readership among my library patrons, especially among those whole like to be scared just a little bit by their books!

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear! I was just thinking about picking this one up from the library. It's gotten great reviews so far. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound really good, thanks for the review and I hope I can read it soon :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.