"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Friday Hops- August 12

 Friday Fun!

*First Line Friday at A Few More Pages.
*The Friday 56 at Freda's Voice.


Book: Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey
"Jasper Jones has come to my window. I don't know why, but he has. Maybe he's in trouble. Maybe he doesn't have anywhere else to go."  -Opening lines
"See, Batman is different. He's mortal. He's got a real life to risk. Superman just has to avoid Kryptonite. Big deal...Batman has the same vulnerabilities as the rest of us, so he has the same fears as us. That's why he is the most courageous...My point is this: the more you have to lose, the braver you are for standing up."-p. 56   (The main character, Charles, and his friend are fighting over who is braver, Superman or Batman.)

Jasper Jones is the town's juvenile delinquent, yet he needs Charles to help him with a problem.  But as you see from the second quote, Charles is still a young teen interested in super heroes.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hosted by GReads
Q. Author Block Party: 
If you could gather a handful of authors to hang out with, 
who would you choose?
 
A. I'd pick my favorite YA authors:
John Green
Libba Bray
Chris Crutcher
David Levithan
Cassandra Clare
Shannon Hale
Markus Zusak
Pete Hautman
Patrick Ness


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++




Featured blog: Jake at Teen Fiction Centre.  Congratulations, Jake!

Q. How has your reading habits changed since you were a teen? or If you are still a teen what new genres are you in love with currently? 

A. YA Lit didn't exist when I was a teenager, or just barely.  I read a lot as a pre-teen and young teen, then barely read in high school at all. When I did I liked reading romances.  Sigh.  They were so tame in comparison to what teens read today.  Ha-ha.  I remember swooning when the characters kissed hard.




16 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm a new blogger and this is my first time on the hop! Follow Follow Follow! lol! This is so fun! : )

    Blog and Twitter

    http://booklove101.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/BookLove101

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention my one year of reading Romances. LOL! Slipped my mind. ;)

    I'm also I new follower of yours.
    My Friday Entry @ For The Love of Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great opening lines. The conversation sounds like one a couple of childhood friends of mine might have had long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your opening lines and your p. 56 excerpt. That one especially reveals so much about the characters(super heroes!).

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Frday and new follower

    Lydia @ Sensual Ride

    http://sensualride.blogspot.com/2011/08/friday-memes_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. John Green was on my longer list. I finally have one of Libba's books. I can't wait. I've heard she is so funny.

    Thanks for sharing. Stop by if can http://wp.me/p1h3Ps-sE

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahah I love your answer! I don't know what I'd do without YA, but I still love romances. Have a great weekend!

    Here's my FF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!
    Sounds interesting. I'll have to check this one out. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Just Books
    http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2011/08/friday-favorites_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was a romance reader when I was a teen too! You are right -- much more tame.

    I keep reading people's lists for their block parties and want to add to mine! I should have thought of John Green! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun 56! Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL. I love that you said that you love when the characters kissed hard. I still love that. I think it adds to the sexual tension more than when the characters actually get in bed with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  12. interesting! i love that graphic book cover! (hahaha - the swooning i can identify with hahahaha!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You were reading tame romances while I was reading Anne Rice. . .

    http://booksyourkidswilllove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hopping through. I would love to meet Cassandra Clare. I adore her books.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. That is tame compared to some of the teen books out there today. I like the cutesy teen books now though, like Sarah Dessen's books. I never read YA as a teen, but I love it now.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.