"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Sunday Salon...August 3rd

Reporting from Boise, Idaho.

Weather: Hot. Last night we thought we were in for a whopper of a thunderstorm but thankfully that didn't happen because...

It was an outdoor wedding. My nephew, Brent, married his high school sweetheart in a very precious ceremony on the grounds of their school, College of Idaho. The photo was taken by my husband of the newly married couple taking communion, between the heads of the groom's parents (my sister). I didn't secure any permissions to post their photos so I figured this one was OK since no faces were shown.

Brent's face when Alethea was coming down the aisle was the most clearly loving and delighted I have ever seen on a groom's face...and I've been to a lot of weddings. Young love. So sweet.
Blowing bubbles on the new couple

Now the family shifts from Boise to Eagle Crest, Oregon for a week-long vacation/family reunion. All my siblings and their spouses will be there, along with my folks. In years past, all of our collective nine children (and now spouses and significant others) also have been with us. But this year we seem to have reached a turning point with jobs, grad school, and their busy lives, so only four of them will be with us and only two for the whole week.

Books read this week:
  • A Matter of Souls by Denise Lewis Patrick...short stories about the African-American experience going as far back as the days of slavery and forward to the 1960s and the Civil Rights movement.
  • The Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith...the end of the world as recorded by a very horny teenage boy. This book may prove to be a problem for me. Please read my review to see what I mean.
  • Gandhi: My Life is My Message...a graphic biography by Jason Quinn with illustrations by Naresh Kumar
Currently reading:
  • One Summer: America, 1927 by Bill Bryson...this is the audiobook we are listening to en route to Boise (and back.) It is about the summer of 1927 and all the weird, wonderful things that happened that year: Babe Ruth hitting 60 home runs; Charles Lindbergh the first to fly from New York to Paris; prohibition and the cast of characters associated with that failed social experiment are three of the topics covered so far.
  • The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion by Fannie Flagg...I'm only seven pages in. I hope it is another funny, whimsical novel by Flagg.
  • The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker...I've made a bit more progress on this LONG audiobook. I'm on disc 13 of 22.
Lucky I'm in Love with My Best Friend: instead of a first dance, Brent and Alethea sang a "first song". This is the song they sang together:



No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.