"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Bookish (and not so bookish) thoughts, August 14

BOOKISH (AND NOT SO BOOKISH) THOUGHTS


1. I have 19 days to finish 13 books toward my 30 book summer challenge. I seriously don't think I have it in me. Especially since I am in the middle of a VERY long audiobook, The Golem and the Jinni, so I can't double up by doing an audio and a print book at the same time. I'm ready to move on to another book but I want to know how this one turns out.

2. I went back to my school library today fully intending to actually WORK. We have received over 2000 books from the district this summer that need to be "accepted" into the system check and tucked away until students check them out with their classes. I got essentially nothing done before the custodian was locking up the school. Guess I'll have to start earlier in the day tomorrow.

3. I am currently reading a YA novel about sexual abuse in the Catholic church. It is not a cheery topic, needless to say. I know that books have to have some sort of problem or issue to be resolved but sometimes I wish I could just read something much less serious. If I was a kid I wouldn't touch a book like this with a ten foot pole. Just sayin'...

4. I'm pretty trashed about the death of Robin Williams. I think some pretty good stuff has been published about the situation, though. I do worry that others who are just hanging on by a thread will use this as an excuse to kill themselves. Sigh. There is such sadness in our world.

5. On a lighthearted note. Last Saturday I rode along while my husband and brother-in-law played 18 holes of golf. It wasn't a good day for either of them, especially my husband. When I saw this clip where Robin Williams is explaining how the Scots invented golf I shared it with them (and now you.)


6. I'm thinking I should get off the computer and get back to reading. See #1.

Have a good week.

5 comments:

  1. I'm trashed about RW as well...working on my post now. :( Sad doesn't even come close to describing the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a sad thing about Robin Williams.

    I fully intended to get some work done today, but I'm too sleepy! :)

    Have a great weekend!

    My Post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I dread opening my browser and seeing what new and sad news awaits us. And then, like the horrific news that breaks into the TV shows we are watching, we are bombarded with it all.

    Books are definitely safer, being inanimate objects that nothing can "break into," except interruptions from our world.

    Here's MY BOOKISH/NOT SO BOOKISH POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those days where nothing gets accomplished always drive me nuts! What's worse is I normally feel more exhausted at the end than I do on the days I actually accomplish something. Probably because I spend all day getting about 15% done with about 100 projects.
    Thanks for sharing the Robin Williams clips. I'm still so stunned by his passing and it was good to see him really looking like he was having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing that video! It made me cry and laugh at the same time, sigh.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.