"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sunday Salon...Feb 12

*************************** Warning: Whine alert. Whine alert.**********************************

Whine #1- Our kitchen faucet started leaking and then the water pooled under the sink. Fortunately we found it before damage was done to the floor, the walls, or the cabinets. After a trip to the hardware store to buy a new faucet, my husband was unable to get the old one out. Ugh.  Next day I called a plumber and he happily replaced the faucet and the leaky valves for a mere $500!!! Whine. Whine.  My hubby was really angry until I told him that the plumber couldn't get the old faucet out either. He used a metal saw to remove it from above.

Whine #2- I had a mortifying exchange with one of my colleagues this week where I was called out publicly for what ended up being a case of miscommunication. After a long, tearful discussion I think we have cleared the air and I hope we can move forward with better communication in the future. Admittedly the whole thing took the wind out of my sails that whole day. Whine. Whine.

Movie of the week: A Dangerous Method. About the early days of psychotherapy with Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud and the woman who came between them. Interesting but a bit slow-moving.

Audiobook I'm listening to: A State of Wonder by Ann Patchett. Set in the Amazon. I am really enjoying this book in the audio format.

Book finished this week: Chopsticks: a novel by Anthony and Corral; Henry Tilney's Dairy by Amanda Grange.

I'm reading: Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater.

Lists I am making: No lists today.

Scripture lesson in church: Matthew 3:16,17 "16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

I'm praying for: Myself, that I can learn to be the type of person that I want to be. Also for the Powell and Cox families who lost their two young boys because their father, Josh Powell, killed them by setting the house on fire.  He was under investigation for killing the boys' mother two years ago. It is a local, public tragedy.

Around the house: See whine #1

From the kitchen: Made pulled pork this week. It is so easy. And we had incredible sushi from our favorite sushi restaurant in Tacoma.

On the Web:Chopsticks YouTube videos suggested in the book Chopsticks like this one showing Jo Ann Castle playing a boogie-woogie chopsticks. The book is interactive.

A favorite quote this week: "A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."-Mark Twain. 


6 comments:

  1. We all need a little time to whine now and then.

    Then we go back to our real lives.

    Next week will be better. You have a fixed sink. That helps.

    Here's my Sunday Salon: Peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had many, many plumbing WHINES this summer after every new sink(save one) leaked. ARGGHH! I can't imagine listening to State of Wonder. Loved that book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HATE home repairs. I'm sorry, and you're welcome to whine anytime you want. ;) I really should try an Ann Patchett book. It's one of those names I know but have never read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry about both Whine 1 and Whine 2, they both sound like emotional drains! I still haven't read State of Wonder even though I am an Ann Patchett fan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whine 2 sounds like a nightmare. I hope things work out in the end, and that you two can go on without any hard feelings.

    I've been wanting to read State of Wonder, but an audiobook sounds so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tag your it! You have been chosen to play a friendly game of tag! Follow the link to check it out :) http://clairelouisereads.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/tagged-second-one.html

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.