"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunday Salon...Feb 19. My Birthday Edition

Yes, today is my birthday and I am OLD!  In fact, I am so old that I forgot how old.  Ha!  The family gathered last night for a lovely dinner and games together later. The cake was purchased from the same bakery that will be doing the wedding cake for my daughter. It is Aztec Chocolate (with cinnamon and chilies.) It is a lovely combination of sweet, chocolate, and spicy. The funniest gift I received was a pair of reading glasses that have lights attached to them for reading in the dark.  They are hilarious and they work good!


Movie of the week: I rewatched Becoming Jane about Jane Austen.  I thought it might be a candidate for Jane Austen Week in my library. I still haven't decided what DVD I will show.


Audiobook I'm listening to: Inheritance by Christopher Paolini, the fourth book in the Eragon series.  It is something like 28 hours of listening time so I will get the book from another library in the district. I can read when I am not listening to speed up the process.


Book finished this week: 1. A State of Wonder by Ann Patchett. Set in the Amazon. I really, really enjoyed this book in the audio format. Can't wait to discuss it in book club next month. I highly recommend it.  2. Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea by Guy Delisle. A Graphic biography.

I'm still reading: Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. This book isn't anything like I imagined but I am enjoying it very much.  The love interest is just starting to show itself.  My my.


Lists: People that will be serving homeless dinner with me next week. Organizing this is new to me so I am feeling a wee bit insecure..


Scripture lesson in church: Mark 9:7  "Then a cloud appeared and covered them, and a voice came from the cloud: “This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!”

I'm praying for: My nephew.

Around the house: Dan, son-in-law-to-be sawed down the tree stump, the tree that was the victim of the ice storm.

From the kitchen: Whiskey River marinaded pork tenderloin and homemade applesauce.


A favorite quote this week: (This totally cracks me up!)







8 comments:

  1. Fantastic post. Happy Birthday!
    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Remember, age is just a number. I love the idea of reading glasses with lights! I'll be interested to hear what you think of Pyongyang

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, Happy Birthday, dear Anne! It doesn't matter how many years young you are, you're still a great person nonetheless. :) Glad to hear you're enjoying The Scorpio Races! Also, that quote is so hilarious. Have a great week!

    ~DJL @ DJL Dishes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Anne! I hope you enjoyed your cake cause it looks soooooo good!

    Enjoy Inheritance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all decided that it is the best chocolate cake we've ever had...and the frosting was like eating fudge.

      Delete
  5. The reading glasses with lights are hysterical! But also practical if they work. Let me know if you find out where to get some -- would be a fun gift to get for my mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rita. The girls got the lighted reading glasses at Walgreens. Don saw them on-line. They are called Light Specks.
      They are so funny. I just about blinded the family when I tried them on and then looked up. Ha!

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday! I have a BIG one coming up next month..trying not to dwell on it. I also have a daughter getting married in May, so we have something in common. Wedding planning is never very far from my mind!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.