"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sunday Salon...Feb 5

Family doings: Daughter #1, her fiance, his mother, and I have been wedding cake testing the past two weeks. The final decision was made Friday. They will have two choices..1. Pink/marble champagne cake with white butter cream frosting for the tiered and chocolate cake with chocolate frosting for the sheet cakes. Yum! 

Daughter #2 attended the Tour de Nerdfighting event in Seattle with her nerdfighter friends. If you don't know about John Green, Nerdfighting, and Vlogbrothers this is a very good article about this author and his following. Tour de Nerdfighting in Austin.

Movie of the week: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close created from the book by Jonathan Safran Foer.  Wonderful (but very sad.) I think it was very close to book and well worth the money to see it.


Audiobook I'm listening to: Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen. This is my second Dessen book and I like it but think it is too long for this format.


Book finished this week: The Notorious Benedict Arnold: a True Story of Adventure, Heroism, and Treachery by Steve Sheinkin. A middle-grade biography of America's most infamous traitor.

I'm reading: Henry Tilney's Diary by Amanda Grange. A Jane Austen retelling of Northanger Abbey. 


Lists I am making: Things I need to do in preparation for Jane Austen Week in my library Games, trivia, which DVD to show, prizes, and treats. I have developed quite a following for this week among the students over the years. I hope I am creating new Austen fans, but I actually think they like it because I allow them to eat their lunch in the library!  Ha!


Scripture lesson in church: Luke 4:1-4  1 Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, 2 where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry. 3 The devil said to him, “If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread.” 4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone.’”

I'm praying for: a friend's son and his wife. They are struggling to learn how to use their money and talents wisely.


Around the house: I had to "dehair" the vacuum yesterday before I could get to the floors. I will put out a few Valentine decorations today while the hubby is watching the Super Bowl.

From the kitchen: Super Bowl menu (it's just the two of us): Crab! We bought several pounds of crab legs last year and it has been languishing in our freezer. Our kids won't eat it, so, since they aren't home, this is a perfect time to finish it off. Want to join us?

On the Web: Stephen Colbert---Defense Against Planned Parenthood.  Very funny in light of all that happened this week with Planned Parenthood and Susan G. Koman.


A favorite quote this week: Allen: You learned to dance like that sarcastically? Terry: Yeah, I guess.---Will Ferrell in the movie The Other Guys.

8 comments:

  1. I am trying to decide whether or not to see Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close today...or later. I do know I want to see it.

    Glad you liked it.

    Those cakes sound delicious!

    Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST and here’s
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley has been after me to read the book(she LOVED it); her friends and she just saw the movie yesterday. She really liked it also. So, I ordered it along with my mocha sauce from Amazon! Do you think I'll like The knife of never letting go? I downloaded it to my tablet for the trip to NYC. I remember you reviewing it, but not what you said. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a huge fan of the Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness. My review of The Knife of Never Letting Go started with three WOWs.

      Definitely read the book Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close but go see the movie while it is at the theatre.

      Delete
  3. I just learned about Nerdfighters since I finished John Green's The Fault in our Stars last night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to reading your review. This book is so good it hard not to gush about it.

      Delete
  4. Nerdfighters, eh? Totally new to me!

    I'd like to invite you to sign up for my February Giveaway! Win All Kinds of Kisses or a $25 Amazon gift card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cake tasting - ah love it! Good choices too. I have never heard of Nerdfighting and will now go and investigate. Hope you have a great time with the crab and Super Bowl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever read YA lit I highly recommend John Green's book and he and his brother Hank have such a cool thing going with Vlog Brothers/Nerdfighters.

      Delete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.