"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sunday Salon...Feb. 26

Weather today... spitting snow with intermittent hail. Strange weather for late winter in the Pacific NW.

Movie/TV of the week: Downton Abbey, Season one, Episodes 1 and 2. We are late to jump on the fan bandwagon for this very popular Masterpiece Theater Classic series. I actually had to educate my lawyer husband about what it means to entail property and titles.  He pondered how I would know something about this, when he didn't.  The answer is easy: I'm a Jane Austen fan, he's not.

I'm reading and listening to: Inheritance by Christopher Paolini, the fourth book in the Eragon series.  It is something like 28 hours of listening time so I read it in the house and listen in the car to speed things up.

Book finished this week: 1.  Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. A new favorite. This book is magical. Check out my review, written as a love letter to the author.  

I'm still readingThe Handmaid and the Carpenter by Elizabeth Berg. It is my goal to have this one finished by the end of the day.

Lists: Jane Austen Week must-do list.  This is an event I host in the library every lunch period for a week with trivia, games, prizes, and a JA video. This year: Emma.

Scripture lesson in church: John 6:18-20--- 18 A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough. 19 When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus approaching the boat, walking on the water; and they were frightened. 20 But he said to them, “It is I; don’t be afraid.” 

I'm praying for:My daughter who had a scary health-related event this past week.

Around the house: We spent part of Saturday looking at granite for kitchen counters. It will be a big job to switch out what we have now but will improve the way the kitchen looks.

From the kitchen: Stuffed green peppers. Easy and yummy.

A favorite quote this week: Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: What's a "weekend"? -from Downton Abbey.



3 comments:

  1. Scary health issue? Which daughter? I hope she's OK. My mom and many friends are Downton Abbey fanatics. I'm terrified(with my Austen love) that I'll get addicted to the series. Maybe this summer.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your daughter is doing better after her scare and that everything comes out all right in the end!

    Downton Abbey... I have loved seasons 1 and 2, hope you do too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard so much about Downtown Abbey, I seriously need to start watching it. I'm going to check out your review of The Scorpio Races, I haven't read it yet, but I loved The Wolf of Mercy Falls series!

    I hope everything goes well with your daughter! Have a nice Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.