"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, February 13, 2012

Top Ten Books that Broke my Heart (at least a little)

The Broke and Bookish
Ten books that broke my heart, at least a little:

  • The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.... I promise no spoilers but suffice it to say that it was a several hanky book and I adored the relationship between Augustus and Hazel Grace.
  • Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler... the title gives away the book's ending. For anyone who has ever dated a rat, or had a broken heart you will be able to relate to this book.
  • Where the Red Fern Grows... I know they were dogs but my heart broke for Little Anne when Old Dan died.
  • Going Bovine by Libba Bray.. .for all the silliness in this book, there are some tender moments toward the end that nearly broke my heart.
  • Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling... there were so many sad, heart breaking moments in this book
  • The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein... Enzo.  Need I say more?
  • Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCall... When I fall in love with a character and that character dies, it breaks my heart.
  • The Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Green... a lonely girl, neglectful parents, a handsome prisoner... all part of the recipe for a massive heart breaker.
  • The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson... young love, so poignant and raw.
  • A Lantern in Her Hand by Bess Streeter... I don't think this book was intended to be a heart breaker but the death of the woman's spouse just pierced my heart when I read it as a child.
  • Mudbound by Hilary Jordan... a family falling apart and the horrors and repercussions of racism nearly broke my heart.
  • Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes... bad things happening to good people. It just isn't fair.
I could go on and on but I will stop. What books have broken you heat, at least a little?

9 comments:

  1. I thought Summer of My German Soldier was a little heart-breaking the first time I read it, but the more I reread it, the more flawed I thought the book was. And I realized that Patty knew Anton for an awkwardly short time!

    I'm seeing Harry Potter on everyone's lists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read the book once and it was just last year, but I know what you mean. I think the girl was vulnerable to making really bad decisions because of how neglectful her parents were.

      Delete
  2. Awesome list! I'll agree with all the ones on your list that I've read. Now I need to read "Why We Broke Up", I hear such good things about it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where the Red Fern Grows- waterworks over Old Dan and Little Ann. What a beautiful read. The Fault in Our Stars in made my top ten this week- Augustus and Hazel are phenomenal characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cried like a baby when I read Deathly Hallows. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Where the Red Fern Grows. I get a little misty-eyed just thinking about it. Why We Broke Up is on my TBR list. I'll be prepared with tissues.

    Here's my TTT for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice list, Anne! You have quite a few here that I haven't read yet, but I love a good fictional cry, so I will have to look for some of these!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Following. Ah, Enzo. What a delicious name.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.