"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, February 27, 2012

Top Ten Books I'd Give A Theme Song To

The Broke and the Bookish
Book titles and theme songs I can imagine for them:

1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green--- If I Die Young by The Band Perry. Two teens with cancer celebrating life yet surrounded by the possibly of death.


2. The Last Summer of the Death Warriors by Francisco X. Stork---Viva la Vida by Coldplay. The book is all about living the life that you have and celebrating it.


3. Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King--- You'll Always Be My Best Friend by Reliant K. In the book the main character is mourning the death of her best friend, Charlie.  She is mad at him, too, but discovers that she really does want to clear his good name as a way of celebrating their friendship.


4. The Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson---Take the Long Way Home by Supertramp. Roger and May are supposed to drive from California to Connecticut via the most direct route but take some fun and delightful detours.


5.  Impossible by Nancy Werlin---Scarborough Fair by Simon and Garfunkel. The book is built around the rhyme from this song. "Are you going to Scarborough Fair? Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme..."


6.  Audrey, Wait by Robin Benway---Rock and Roll Music by The Beach Boys.  Audrey inadvertently becomes famous when her boyfriend writes a hit song about their break-up.


7. The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly---Heigh Ho by Disney (Snow White.) There is a hilarious scene in the book that involves a very twisted Snow White and seven dwarfs.

8. The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson--- Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton. The main character in this book grapples with grief because of the death of her older, beloved sister.


9. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo---Do you Hear the People Sing? from the musical. The book and the musical are all about the rights of the little guy, this song captures that aspect of the book perfectly.


10. In the Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan--- Thriller by Michael Jackson. Zombies and a love story.

11. If I Stay by Gayle Forman--- Dona Nobis Pacem (Give Us Peace) performed by Yo-Yo Ma. Mia, cello player, is in a horrific car accident and hovers between life and death. Even in this state she tries to decide if she should stay or die. Which decision will give her the most peace?

12.Sorta Like a Rock Star by Matthew Quick---What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger) performed by The Glee Cast. Amber Appleton's life is full of negative circumstances but she chooses to focus on the positive and becomes a stronger person for it.


13. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater--- The Scorpio Races written and performed by Maggie Stiefvater.  No kidding. The author of this book composed a little tune to go with the book trailer. It is perfect.


14. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins---We Are Young by Fun. The fighters in the Hunger Games were all so young. Adults set up the barbarism but made the children fight. "Tonight/We are young/So I set the world on fire/We can glow brighter than the sun."


14 comments:

  1. Awesome choices! I love Simon & Garfunkel! I really loved Impossible too.

    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had totally forgotten about Relient K! I used to love them :) And who knew that Maggie Stiefvater actually composed that song? She is AMAZING! If I Die Young... so sad, but such a perfect choice. Love that song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was counting on you, Anne, to use books and music that I know and you came through for me!

    Here's my
    Top Ten Books I'd Give a Theme Song To.
    I'd love to have you stop by.

    And I hope you'll also enter the Readerbuzz February Giveaway! You could win All Kinds of Kisses or Paris to the Past or a $25 Amazon giftcard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't even thought about the actual song Maggie composed for The Scorpio Races! lol Guess I was too busy trying to find something for all of my books. And you managed to do 14, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am currently reading The Fault in Our Stars and I love your choice of theme song! I also didn't know Maggie composed a song for The Scorpio Races! How awesome! Here is my Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my these choices are so spot-on! Love so many of these books and the songs are just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, the combo of TFioS and If I Die Young made me want to cry (again)! Perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We Are Young is such an interesting choice for the The Hunger Games. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at you, with the extra credit! I'm impressed that you came up with so many theme songs; I had a hard time thinking of ten! But these are great songs. And since you mentioned Les Miz, I can't even tell you how excited I am for the movie version with Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe to come out. YAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne, first let me say congrats on exceeding ten choices this week! You are one of the few who actually made it to ten! :)

    Thanks so much for participating in this week's Top Ten Tuesday!

    Jen @ The Broke and the Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, wow, what an unusual and creative list topic! Somehow I missed this last week.

    I love your theme song choices - all very appropriate. What fun!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list! No contest with the first choice here!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.