"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, February 20, 2012

Top Ten Books I'd Quickly Save If My House Was Going To Be Abducted By Aliens

The Broke and Bookish

What books would I save if I could were my house under attack?

1. The Bible...my personal Bible that I've written footnotes in.

2. All six books of Jane Austen (hardcover)

3. The Complete Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. I just purchased a set of hardcover books of the Narnia books.

4. All the Harry Potter books, all are first editions.

5. Favorite Children's books: The Big Hungry Bear by Woods; Jamberry by Degen; The Birthday Book by Dr. Seuss; Little Bear by Maurice Sendak

6. A Few Christmas books that we read every year: How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss; The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson; The Angel, the Shepherd, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog by Dave Barry.

7. My daughters' baby books.

8. After looking at other lists I realized that I would definitely want to save a few of my favorite cookbooks: The Taste of Oregon; The Christmas Cookie Book; The Joy of Cooking; and the more personal ones like the one created by my daughter's class when she was in 3rd grade.

The rest of my books, though I love them, can be replaced and I would not be devastated if I lost them.





8 comments:

  1. I'd save my scriptures as well. And, I'd also save my Harry Potters since they're all first editions. I'd also try to save as many of my signed books as possible since they're not as easily replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would certainly save my first edition Harry Potters too...if I could remember who I loaned them to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list! I'd want to save C. S. Lewis too...but then I'd really want to save ALL my books and that's just not possible. Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2012/02/top-ten-tuesday-rescue-from-inferno.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane Austen, excellent choice! I had a couple personal books on my list, too. Once I thought about it, narrowing it down to just 10 was pretty easy.

    See what I'd save from a fire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In 1979, we had a big flood come through our town. Everything I thought was very important (including books...many, many books!) were flooded and sat in flood waters for three days until we could return to our home. I discovered that all those things were not really as important as I'd thought. I was just happy everyone I loved was safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely save the baby book. She'll want to look through that someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Correction books 3-7 of Harry Potter are first editions. The first two are not :(

    Also aren't you cheating by saving series of books? I count 33 books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why did we make such a big deal about getting a 1st edition of book six then? Aren't you just glad I'd want to save your Harry Potter books from aliens?

      Delete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.