"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, September 19, 2011

Monday: What am I reading?

Hosted by Book Journey
I am a stressed-out mess about reading right now.  Wednesday is the meeting day for selecting our Mock Printz book list and I am frantically trying to read as many books on our preliminary list as I can. My goal is to read at least 100 pages of each of the books prior to the meeting. Here's my progress:

What am I reading?
1. Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta... 160/328 pages. Set in Australia. I'm having a hard time maintaining the thread of this story because I am both listening to and reading the book alternating. I had a hard time with Jellicoe Road by Marchetta until the ending drew everything together.  I hope the same happens here.
2. The Queen of Water by Laura Resau... 267/342 pages. Set in Ecuador. Virginia is essentially a slave to a wealthy family.  This book is based on a true story. I know I will finish this book before Wednesday.
3. Karma by Cathy Ostlere... 17/517 pages. Set in Canada and India. I am apparently reading from a very international list right now. I just picked this book up today.  It is written in verse so I am fairly sure that I'll reach my goal, as it reads fast.
4. Tall Story by Candy Gourley... 67/224 pages. Set in Philippines and New York. I should stop reading this book for the time being because I have decided it is a middle-grade book and won't be considered by the Printz committee.  I do want to finish it, though.

What am I listening to?
1. Chime by Franny Billingsley... 17/361 pages. I just started listening to this today on my way home from the library. I doubt I'll be able to listen to 100 pages worth of text since listening takes longer than reading.  Oh well.  I will at least have a feeling for the book.

What I wish I had time to cram in before Wednesday:
1. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness... this book is getting great reviews and I am anxious to read it to see if is as good as everyone says.

I'd love to hear what you are reading.  And I hope you aren't reading as frantically as I am right now.
Look for our Mock Printz list this coming Wednesday afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't feel like things drew together in Piper's Son as much as Jellicoe Road. Somewhat, but not the same. The reason I loved the book was the dialogue and the strong family and friendship elements. The plot isn't as important as just "being" in the book. But it is an unusual style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just starting another Chris Crutcher, Stotan for your challenge!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.