"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Friday posts

Hosted by GReads
Question:  Book Disappointments---Have you ever come across a book you were so stoked to read, but it failed miserably in your eyes?

Answer: I wouldn't say that I have ever felt that a book failed miserably, but I certainly have been disappointed with books. Here are a few that come to mind:
  • Angels and Demons by Dan Brown.  This book just didn't grab me, which was disappointing after all the hype.
  • Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. Don't flame me.  I get it why the book and series was popular, I just didn't care for the writing.
  • A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. I had heard so much about this book yet I was shocked at my reaction to all of the senseless violence.  I couldn't finish it.
  • Wicked: the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire. I really, really, really didn't like this book and I really, really wanted to.  I can't believe that I finished it.  It was difficult to read on many levels.

The idea behind Follow Friday is to make some new blogging friends which is especially important in Blogger Appreciation Week.  The featured blogger this week is the Alaskan Book Cafe. Congratulations!  (I tried to leave a comment and couldn't figure it out, but I did follow you!)


Question of the day:  What imaginary book world would you like to make a reality?

Answer:  Hmmm- Aspects of Harry Potter and Hogwarts but it would be so scary having to deal with wicked wizards all the time. Narnia, so that I could romp with Aslan and interact with talking animals, but I'd want to avoid the White Witch. Then again, it would be so awesome to have my own daemon like everyone had in the Golden Compass (His Dark Materials series) but I do not want a mom like Mrs. Coulter.  Notice a theme to my answers?


21 comments:

  1. I made it through a couple of pages of Twilight before I realized that there was no way I could read it. The writing was atrocious! I don't like Dan Brown's writing either--very pedestrian. The other two books I've never even tried!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved DaVinci code but hated Angels and Demons. Loved Twilight- yeah I wont hate you if you dont hate me =o) and Clockwork Orange.. one of my most favorite books..but the great thing is...they make so many different types of books for us different types of people and its ok if we dont all agree on what is good and what isnt !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I agree with you on Wicked! I was obsessing over the musical when I picked it up and, yeah...I wish I had just stuck with the musical.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about Angels and Demons, I think if I had read it in the order it was suppose to be read as opposed to reading Da Vinci Code first I would have enjoyed it more.
    I chose HP too! I didn't think about the His Dark Materials world though, I think having a daemon would be amazing!
    Here are my answers: http://wp.me/pXYkv-gM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would agree with you on Wicked. I've tried to read it a few times and I just can't get into it.

    Here's my answer although I didn't go into much detail. Marissa, My Book Disappointments

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely hear you with regard to "Twilight". I love paranormal romance, but I could not get into "Twilight" to save my life. Which was pretty disappointing for my aunt and my cousins, who adore it. Ah well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey,

    Hopping by :)

    We actually have the exact same answer for FF. I picked Harry Potter and then said I'd love to have a daemon from The Golden Compass!

    New Follower

    Lucy
    http://thesecretlifeofbooksblog.blogspot.com/
    (Be sure to check out my giveaway)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I picked Wicked too. I just could not get into that book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anne, I went for Harry Potter too for the follow friday.
    New follower!

    Here's my post http://thelittlereaderlibrary.blogspot.com/2011/09/follow-friday-blog-hop.html

    Best wishes, Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  10. All really good answers! I hadn't even thought of Narnia, but that would be cool.

    New Follower

    http://readingtopenguins.blogspot.com/2011/09/following-friday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ash by Malinda Lo. Could have been awesome. Totally wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG I totally agree with you on Wicked. I should have picked that one too for my TGIF post. I just couldn't get into it.

    New follower btw :)

    Here's my post: http://www.jjireads.com/2011/09/tgif-and-flove-friday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. i agree with clockwork orange and i feel the movie was just as bad!

    http://melissa-justoneopinion.blogspot.com/2011/09/tgif_16.html#links

    ReplyDelete
  14. Narnia would be a cool place to hang out. I keep hearing things about this Clockwork Orange book. I don't even know what it is and maybe that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bet Narnia would be amazing to live in! And I have never wanted to read Wicked and after this and some of the comments I probably won't. lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hopping through. I'd love to have my own daemon. But I agree - no Mrs. Coulter.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can totally understand about Wicked. I think it was a hard book to read -- and definitely don't expect it to be like the musical! But, I did finish it, and I did enjoy it. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've love to have my own daemon! According to a quiz I once took, mine would be an ocelot named Zotius. I think I could live with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Narnia would be an amazing place to be, Harry Potter was my answer. I know what you mean about Wicked- I loved loved the musical, but the book was nothing like it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with you about Wicked. I borrowed it from a family member after hearing how wonderful it was but I ended up not really liking it. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I started reading Wicked 2 years ago, then got distracted by something else and never went back to it. I will try it again some time but it isn't top of my list.

    I can't believe I didn't think of Narnia!!! That would be awesome, and Harry Potter and Philip Pullman. Great answers - I agree with you about avoiding the trouble though.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. :D

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.