"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, September 12, 2011

BBAW: Community


While the awards are a fun part of BBAW, they can never accurately represent the depth and breadth of diversity in the book blogging community. Today we are encouraged to highlight a couple of bloggers that have made book blogging a unique experience for us. They can be a mentor, a blogger that encouraged us to try a different kind of book, opened our eyes to a new issue, made us laugh when it was needed, or left the first comment on our blog.

I don't think I would still be blogging if it weren't for the comments and support from other bloggers.

Here are some blogs that I try to follow at least weekly:

1. Sue Jackson at her two book blogs:  Great Books for Kids and Teens and Book by Book.
Sue is a really good writer. Her blogs are focused on family reading and great books for teens.  Once a week she outlines what every member of the family is reading that week.  This way I get reading ideas for men, women, and teen boys. I'm confident that Sue and I would be real friends, not just blogging friends, if we didn't live on opposite of the continent.  I value her comments and every book I have read (or listened to) that she has recommended, I have liked.

2. Helen at Helen's Book Blog. Helen was a high school teacher (so was I) before moving into the role of high school librarian. I value her reviews as she has a similar point-of-view as me.  We both seem to approach our reading with an eye for recommendations for our students.  Helen also makes thoughtful and helpful comments on my blog. I really, really like the way that Helen organizes both her blog and her reviews. She always adds a little geography lesson to her posts.  I love that.

3. Annette at Annette's Book Spot. Annette is another high school librarian.  She writes thoughtful and thorough reviews and I always appreciate her comments. Starting to notice a theme?

 These bloggers really helped me get my blog off the "stuck" level back in the beginning:

1. Jessi at The Elliott Review. Jessi was really helpful in explaining how to participate in blogger hops, giveaways, and the importance of making meaningful comments.  I haven't heard from Jessi  for a while, but I still appreciate the help she gave me back in the beginning.

2. Mrs. DeRaps at DeRaps Reads. I enjoyed the comments and support from Mrs. DeRaps.  Unfortunately, this blog hasn't been active since April.  Where are you Mrs. DeRaps? The "death" of a blog is sad event but is very common, I'm afraid.

There are so many, many more wonderful blogs that I enjoy following.  I am grateful for the book blogging community.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for including me in this post. This week has begun as a crazy one for me and I didn't get time to do a community post for BBAW, but you'd definitely be on the list! I love connecting with high school teacher librarians, especially ones that like the same books as me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the blogger love. I also appreciate know some other school librarian bloggers -- I'll have to check them out. Happy BBAW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Anne, that is so sweet!! Thanks for the shout-out for both of my blogs and especially for the kind and thoughtful comments.

    We would definitely be friends in real life if we lived near each other!!

    I don't have time to write my own BBAW blogs this week, but I am enjoying reading others and am finding lots of new-to-me blogs. I will go check out the rest of the ones in your list. Thanks!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.