"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, September 12, 2011

Monday and I'm reading...

I've had a slow reading week:
I'm reading: 
Queen of Water by Laura Resau...I am making slow progress on this YA novel about a young Ecuadorian girl who is practically a slave, sold by her parents. It is well-written but with the new school year my energy to read at night is low.






I'm listening to:
Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell..."Malcolm Gladwell looks at why major changes in our society so often happen suddenly and unexpectedly. Ideas, behavior, messages, and products, he argues, often spread like outbreaks of infectious disease."-Goodreads






I just finished: 
The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder by Rebecca Wells...I half listened to/half read this delightful (and a bit sappy) novel set in Louisiana. I loved the narrator's voice on the audiobook but I had to quit listening because there were too many sad bits and I don't think it is a good idea to drive and cry at the same time. I've been "living" this book for the past few days.  I love it when that happens.




What's up next: 
Anya's Ghost by  Vera Brosgol (a graphic novel)..."Of all the things Anya expected to find at the bottom of an old well, a new friend was not one of them. Especially not a new friend who’s been dead for a century." -Goodreads.   I'm thinking about my Mock Printz workshop.  Will this graphic novel make it onto our list this year?








What are you reading this week?  Anything good?


2 comments:

  1. It is amazing how the beginning of a school year slows us down, isn't it?! I definitely feel that way and find myself gravitating toward thinner YA books because I know I have a better chance of finishing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Rebecca Wells. The Crowning Glory of Calla Lilly Ponder was one of those stories I couldn't put down and devoured in less than two days.

    You've just reminded me that after reading Blink awhile back I meant to 'catch up' on Malcolm Gladwell.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.