Today's blogging challenge: Best Nonfiction Books I've Read
This is an impossible task for me. I read a lot of nonfiction and I am fascinated by a variety of topics. Instead I have identified
15 17 nonfiction titles I have enjoyed a lot and either have or would like to reread.
I recommend them all without hesitation!
- The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown (2013)
- Seabiscuit: An American Legend by Laura Hillenbrand (1999) And another books by the author: Unbroken.
- Teacher Man by Frank McCourt (2005) And the other two books in the series: Angela's Ashes and 'Tis.
- Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson (2014)
- West With the Night by Beryl Markham (1942)
- Lab Girl by Hope Jahren (2016)
- I Am, I Am, I Am: Seventeen Brushes with Death by Maggie O'Farrell (2017)
- The Anthropocene Reviewed: Essays on a Human-Centered Planet by John Green (2021)
- Around the World in 80 Trees by Jonathan Drori (2018)
- Dreaming the Beatles: The Love Story of One Band and the Whole World by Rob Sheffield (2017)
- Brazen: Rebel Ladies Who Racked the World by Penelope Bagieu, translated by Montana Kane (2018)
- A Dog in the Cave: The Wolves Who Made Us Human by Kay Frydenborg (2020)
- Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson (2014)
- The Faithful Spy: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Plot to Kill Hitler by John Hendrix (2018)
- All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team by Christina Soontornvat (2020)
- Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande (2014)
- A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. Actually everything I've read by Bill Bryson!
(Click on titles for my reviews if hyperlinked)
My nonfiction reading tastes are very eclectic, as you can see from the list above. I like books about --
- Sports: Boys in the Boat; Seabiscuit; All Thirteen.
- Memoirs: Teacher Man; I Am, I Am, I Am; West With the Night; Lab Girl.
- Science: A Dog in the Cave; Lab Girl; Around the World in 80 Trees; A Short History of Nearly Everything.
- Written in verse: Brown Girl Dreaming
- Graphic/illustrated: Faithful Spy; Brazen; Around the World in 80 Trees.
- Essays: The Anthropocene Reviewed
- About Social issues: Just Mercy; Brown Girl Dreaming
- By favorite authors: John Green; Frank McCourt; Atul Gawande; Bill Bryson
- About medical issues: Being Mortal; I Am, I Am, I Am
- Adventure/Exciting: All Thirteen; Boys in the Boat; Seabiscuit; West With the Night
- Feminists: Brazen; Lab Girl
- Historical: West With the Night; Boys in the Boat; Seabiscuit; Brazen; A Dog in the Cave
- Humor: Bill Bryson
- YA: Faithful Spy; The Dog in the Cave; All Thirteen; Brazen; Brown Girl Dreaming; Just Mercy has a YA version.
- The Beatles: Dreaming the Beatles
- Where I learn something that has impacted my life: all of them!
Post a Comment
I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.