"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, March 5, 2023

Sunday Salon...March -- In like a lion or was it a lamb?

Snow in February. When we were in Hawaii my brother-in-law's brother, Gary sent us this photo taken from his living room window in Oregon. Isn't it artsy? I love it. Photo credit: G. Buhler, used with permission.

Weather: March weather comes with it's own little saying which we twist around if it is the opposite. "In like a lion, out like a lamb" or the opposite, "In like a lamb, out like a lion." March 1st was a lovely day (lamb) but March 2nd was stormy with wind and rain (lion.) Today started out sunny and glorious, now it is stormy with cold rain pelting down. It's looking like we should add another phrase to March weather -- "In like a lionish lamb, expect the same all month." 😏


Darling project: My daughter, who taught herself to crochet during COVID lockdowns, created these  little pea-people with different flower hats. Aren't they darling? I thought she was making them for herself but after creating all the little hats in the book, plus one of her own creation, she gave them to me. Can't wait to figure out a way to display them. Thank you, Carly!!! I love them.



Books, reading, and blogging:

  • Currently reading:
    • Banned Books: The World's Most Controversial Books by DK Publishing. I've read 36 of the 80 books named. Funnily, I don't have an urge to read most of the ones I haven't read. 57% complete. Print.
    • The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas. I made quite a bit of progress this week, finally getting back on track reading it. I'm on page 745 of 1068, or 70%. I am going to finish this thing! Audio and print.
    • The Hero of This Book by Elizabeth McCracken. This is a novelized memoir, I think. Very clever. 30%. Audio.
       
  • Recently completed:
    • A Thousand Steps Into Night by Traci Chee. A YA novel which uses Japanese mythology and history but is a fantasy novel. Very clever but also confusing with unrecognizable terms and names. Audio.
    • The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie. The first Poirot mystery. E-book.
    • The Goblin Market and Other Poems by Christina Rossetti. I liked the title poem but didn't care for any of the others so I stopped reading about 80%. Print.
       
  • Blog posts from this past week:

Flowers: I find myself buying flowers more often when I pass them in the grocery store. For years I considered them a frivolous purchase. Now I would forego a food treat for a beautiful bunch of flowers. Who is with me? I highly recommend them as mood-lifters! Here is this week's purchase:


Prayers for two men: R and B. Both have been diagnosed with blood cancer.  May God's healing light enter their bodies.

We went to a movie theater in person: The first time since the beginning of COVID. It felt like such a normal thing to do (but I was glad the theater was nearly empty so I didn't feel compelled to wear my mask.) Don and Carly and I saw Everything Everywhere All At Once. We all loved it!

Just for fun:

The church service today was on new beginnings. The children's sermon was actually about a new take on the Humpty Dumpty story. It made me think of this cartoon.

 



-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.