"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Tanka-poetry reviews


Thanks to Lark Writes for giving me the inspiration to write short, poetic book reviews. Hers are called 'Haiku Reviews.' I'll make mine a little longer and call them tanka-poetry reviews. Similar to haikus, tanka poems are short, using only 31-syllables in the cadence pattern of 5, 7, 5, 7, 7. I call these reviews tanka-poetry but the books I am reviewing are not specifically poetry books.

 


 Musical Tables: Poems by Billy Collins 
Random House, 2022.

This new collection
is chock full of small poems --
My favorite kind.
Most are funny or poignant.
All made me laugh or smile.
 
Rating 4.5 out of 5 stars.
 

 
Banned Books: The World's Most Controversial Books, Past and Present
D.K. Publishing, 2022.

Title says it all --
banned books throughout the ages.
I've read almost half.
My favorite parts were quotes
by authors, impacts us all.
 
Rating 4 out of 5 stars.
 

 
The Goblin Market and Other Poems by Christina Rossetti
Macmillan Collector's Library, 2022, first published in 1862.
 
The foremost female
poet of her time. "Goblin
Market" is a weird
and ghoulish poem. So cool.
The others are not so good.

Rating 3 out of 5 stars.
 


Prairie Reunion by Barbara Scot
Riverhead Books, 1995.

A woman goes back
for bittersweet homecoming.
Tries to understand
why her father abandoned
family when she was young.
 
Rating 2 out of 5 stars.
 

 
The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories by Marina Keegan
Scribner, 2014.
 
Marina Keegan
Died days after her college
graduation. Sad
family and friends compiled
her stories for this book.
 
Rating 3 out of 5 stars.  



When I Found You by Catherine Ryan Hyde
Amazon Publishing, 2013.

Child buried alive.
Man rescues him, nick of time.
Then spends rest of life
rescuing the boy from more
disastrous decisions.
 
3 out of 5 stars.



The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
Duke Classics, 2012, originally published in 1920.

Debuting Poirot,
the famous Christie P.I.
Was death a murder?
Was it poison? Who did it?
We all know by end of book.
 
3.5 out of 5 stars.
 

 

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.