"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, January 10, 2022

My 2023 Yearly Reading/Blogging Challenges



1. One Big Book 
Personal Challenge
Read one book during the year that I consider a challenging book; a book I've avoided reading for years due to its daunting nature. Must be completed by 12/31/23.
My 2023 One Big Book is: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
 


2. Pulitzer Challenge
Personal
Read the current Pulitzer Prize winner announced in May of each year. And read these past winners from a list I created.:
1. 2023 co-winners:  Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver
Trust by Hernan Diaz ✔
2. 2013 winner: Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson 
3. 2007 winner: The Road by Cormac McCarthy
4. 2004 winner: The Known World by Edward Jones
5. 2001 winner: The Amazing Kavalier and Clay by Michael Charbon


3. National Book Award Challenge
Personal
Every year the National Book Award is given out in five categories: Fiction, Nonfiction. Poetry, Translated Literature; Young People's Literature. My goal is to read two of the five winners (or finalists) per year. This award was announced November 15th.

 

 


4. Discussion Challenge
Hosts: Feed Your Fiction Addiction and It Begins at Midnight.
Post a discussion topic related to books, reading, or related topics.
I'm aiming to complete the beginning level, Discussion Dabbler or 1-10 posts in 2023. 
Tracking topics/dates:

Reading Selections (April 11th)
Rereadings (Nov. 14, 2023)

 

5. Goodreads Challenge
Read 110+ in 2023. 
I will keep track of my books on the Goodreads website.

 

6. Classics Club List
About ten years ago I created a list of 50 classic books I wanted to read. I kept adding titles to the list faster than I read them. I still have about 30 books left on that expanded list. In 2023 I want to read at least five books from my list.
Tracker:
2. Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare
3. The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie
5. Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
6. The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
7. The Return of Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
8. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
10. Middlemarch by George Eliot
11.The  Aleph and Other Stories by Jorge Luis Borges
12. The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder
 



7. Super Past Due Reviews
A personal challenge
Write five super past due reviews (over a year old)

Reviews completed tracker:

Grunt by Mary Roach




8. Big Book Summer Challenge
Read 400+ page length books during summer (Memorial Day to Labor Day). My goal is 4 big books.
Tracker: 

1. Horse by Geraldine Brooks, 401 pages
2. Humans by Brandon Stanton, 437 pages
3. Tell Me Why by Tim Riley, 423 pages
4. Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin, 401 pages
5. Trust by Hernan Diaz, 416 pages
6. I Have Some Questions for You by Rebecca Makkai, 438 pages
 
-Anne


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.