1. One Big Book
Read one book during the year that I consider a challenging book; a book I've avoided reading for years due to its daunting nature. Must be completed by 12/31/23.
My 2023 One Big Book is: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas ✔
2. Pulitzer Challenge
Read the current Pulitzer Prize winner announced in May of each year. And read these past winners from a list I created.:
1. 2023 co-winners: Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver ✔
Trust by Hernan Diaz ✔
2. 2013 winner: Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson
3. 2007 winner: The Road by Cormac McCarthy ✔
4. 2004 winner: The Known World by Edward Jones
5. 2001 winner: The Amazing Kavalier and Clay by Michael Charbon ✔
Every year the National Book Award is given out in five categories: Fiction, Nonfiction. Poetry, Translated Literature; Young People's Literature. My goal is to read two of the five winners (or finalists) per year. This award is not announced until November.
Hosts: Feed Your Fiction Addiction and It Begins at Midnight.
Post a discussion topic related to books, reading, or related topics.
I'm aiming to complete the beginning level, Discussion Dabbler or 1-10 posts in 2023.
Reading Selections (April 11th)
Where to Post Reviews (July 13th)
Read 110+ in 2023. ✔
I will keep track of my books on the Goodreads website.
Host: The Classics Club
About ten years ago I created a list of 50 classic books I wanted to read. I kept adding titles to the list faster than I read them. I still have about 30 books left on that expanded list. In 2023 I want to read at least five books from my list.
1. If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino
2. Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare
3. The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie
4. The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas
5. Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
6. The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
7. The Return of Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
8. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
10. Middlemarch by George Eliot
11.The Aleph and Other Stories by Jorge Luis Borges
7. Super Past Due Reviews
A personal challenge
Write five super past due reviews (over a year old)
Reviews completed tracker:
Grunt by Mary Roach
8. Big Book Summer Challenge
Read 400+ page length books during summer (Memorial Day to Labor Day). My goal is 4 big books.
1. Horse by Geraldine Brooks, 401 pages
2. Humans by Brandon Stanton, 437 pages
3. Tell Me Why by Tim Riley, 423 pages
4. Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin, 401 pages
5. Trust by Hernan Diaz, 416 pages
6. I Have Some Questions for You by Rebecca Makkai, 438 pages