"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, January 23, 2022

Sunday Salon---Mostly about books


Today I have decided to not be bothered by what bothers me.  That means, for today at least, no politics,  no focus on our horrible pandemic, or making fun of people who "don't believe in it." What does that leave me? Well, three things come to mind: grandsons, pets, and books.


Weather: Stagnant air which is cold and foggy. A few nights ago the meteorologist on the local news said the forecast was for beautiful, sunny days for almost a week. Well, apparently the weather didn't actually listen to him because we've been a soup bowl ever since that prediction. We just got back from walking the dog and all of us, including the dog, were miserably cold and wet when we stepped back into the house. My face is still thawing. I'm complaining now, but we did have a nice walk in the late afternoon a few days back at Chambers Bay overlooking the Puget Sound. (See photo above of Don and Bingley.)

Gnome hunt and house in progress

Grandson #1, Ian: Last Monday Don, Ian, and I made a trip to a favorite spot, Northwest Trek. It is a local wildlife park which also has a very popular play area for young kids. Ian loves to play there and he always makes a friend or two to chum around with for a short time. The park was festooned with gnomes, so we ran around and took pictures of Ian with all them. Afterwards we dropped by the family property where they are building a new house. Ian showed us the floor plan and explained everything to us. So cute. 


Grandson #2, Jamie: I babysit Jamie one day a week and he is at the stage where he needs opportunities for enrichment and action. Last week we went to the local mall which has a pretty cool free play structure. Jamie loved it, especially the elephant slide, which he is climbing in the photo. Fortunately for us, we had the whole structure to ourselves so didn't need to worry about other children and their germs interacting with us. Sad state of affairs, huh?

Books, blogging, and bookish-related topics:

  • SOTH Book Club -- we met on Zoom to discuss this month's selection: The Dutch House by Ann Patchett. It was a reread for me as my other book club read it three years ago, long enough ago that I needed to remind myself of details. I liked it just as much the second time around. But I have to admit that I don't care for Zoom book club meetings.
  • RHS Gals Book Club -- meets this coming week. We will be discussing The Authenticity Project by Clare Pooley. I was very disappointed in this story. It had so much potential -- the idea of being fully authentic and honest with self and others -- but the book just didn't deliver. I am leading the discussion which I do not think will go well. Sigh. At least we will meet in person, outside on a deck with a gas fireplace. Hopefully we'll stay cozy and dry.
  • Speaking of book clubs, here are two "favorites" lists:
  • Cybils Finalists -- Still working away on this project:
    • The Rebellious Life of Rosa Parks (Young Reader's Edition) by Jeanne Theoharis and Brandy Colbert -- Rosa Parks was not a meek and unwitting participant in the Montgomery Bus Boycott when she wouldn't give up her seat on the bus. She was an activist long before her action started the ball rolling. This book is setting the record straight. Print. 44%.
    • Everything You Wanted To Know About Indians But Were Afraid to Ask (Young Reader's Edition) by Anton Treuer -- the book is organized according to topics -- History, Terminology, Religion & Culture, Powwow, etc. -- and can be used to look up the answer to one burning question such as "Why don't Indians cut their hair?" -- or read in its entirety, like I am doing. I am gaining so many insights. Print and audio. 55%.
  • Also reading --
    • The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles -- my library hold just arrived so I can continue reading this book after a short hiatus. Audio. 20%.
    • The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig. A reread. Print. 5%.
  • Super Past Due Reviews -- I am challenging myself to go back in time and recall information about books I read long ago and actually write reviews for them now. The list of the books for this challenge and other details I've explained in the intro post (hyperlinked.) So far I've completed one super late review for The Goldfinch (read in 2014) and I am currently rereading The Whistling Season (read in 2009 and 2015) for my next installment. I've only picked books for this challenge that I truly love and have inexplicably never reviewed. Stay tuned.
  • Completed this week --
    • The Story of More: How We Got to Climate Change and Where to Go From Here by Hope Jahren. A nonfiction book by the author of Lab Girl. Oh boy! If we make it out of this crisis alive, it will be a miracle. Audio.
    • Beautiful Country by Qian Julie Wang. A book club selection. I had to request this book from the library again after I didn't finish it in December. I really got wrapped up in this immigrant's story. Very well done. A memoir. E-book and audio.
    • The Dutch House by Ann Patchett. A reread. Print.

Fred vs. the chair


Happy week!

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.