"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, January 4, 2019

Friday Quotes: Beartown

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

This is the book I'm reading right now---



Title: Beartown by Fredrik Backman

Book Beginnings:
"Late one evening, toward the end of March, a teenager picked up a double-barreled shotgun, walked into the forest, put the gun to someone else's forehead, and pulled the trigger. This is the story of how we got there."
Friday 56:
"You can't look a gravestone in the eye and ask for forgiveness."
Comments: I just started the book yesterday so I haven't even gotten to page 56 yet. I think the first line is very compelling. It and the book blurb, "Under a heavy burden, the semifinal match becomes a catalyst for a violent act that will leave a young girl traumatized and a town in turmoil", have prepared me for a heavy reading assignment. When I selected it, I expected something more like A Man Called Ove., which seems like much lighter fare.



15 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to read this book for quite a while. I've heard such good things about it. This week I am spotlighting The Paragon Hotel by Lyndsay Faye. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one on my GR list. I really want to read it! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy his books, but I haven't read this one yet.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is nothing like Ove--a real departure. I enjoyed it, but I live in a hockey obsessed town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to read more Backman - I hope you'll end up enjoying this one, Anne.

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is on my TBR too! I read My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologies in November and adored it. I really want to read more of his books now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked this book though it took me a bit to get into it. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only read Ove...and I have one of his other books, about the grandmother; another book to dig out of the back of my Kindle! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does sound quite heavy. I hope you'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe a good choice for Book Club too?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That 56 is very compelling. Sounds like this one will deal with guilt and grief in some way. Wishing you a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! What an opening! I'm definitely intrigued. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you enjoy the book :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I DNFed this one last year but mainly it was not my type of read but it was so hyped I had to try it. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.