"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, January 24, 2019

Friday Quotes: The Great Alone

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

This is the book I'm highlighting right now---


Title: The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

Book Beginning:
That spring, rain fell in great sweeping gusts that rattled the rooftops.
Friday 56:
Salvation Army. So he had planned ahead and thought of her the other day when they were in Homer. It made the ugly clothes almost beautiful.
Comments: I am nearly done with this book by the author of The Nightingale. This book is set in the Alaska bush. Leni is a teen who has moved so many times she has no friends. Her father, a Vietnam vet came home changed, with serious PTSD (they didn't call it that in the 1970s), and her mother would go along with her father's schemes to try and keep the peace. When he decided to relocate to Alaska and live off the grid in the bush, the women had to go along, knowing how unprepared they are. The quote from page 56 is the first day of school for Leni, where she is forced to wear the ugly clothes her father bought her in Homer, the biggest town near their new home. I'm thinking that the Book Beginnings quote is trying to set the tone of the story... things were so miserable for the family it was as if they would drown in their misery.


16 comments:

  1. This seems like an interesting book. Also, the cover is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been curious about The Nightingale. I hope this one ends up being enjoyable or you. Happy Friday!
    My 56: Trail of Lightning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like The Nightingale better than this one, but this one is very good, too.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful read!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been curious about this book but haven't had a chance to read it yet. This week I am spotlighting Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch as I try to finish a series I just discovered. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you know anyone who lives in Alaska, I am sure you will enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed this book. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “LATE IN THE DAY”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are reading it in both my book clubs and for the all-county Reads!

      Delete
  6. I've been to Homer! This book intrigues me because of the setting and the writing seems good. A depressing story though, I've heard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds interesting. Hope you enjoy the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard great things about The Nightingale, and I've had it on my list. Sounds like I need to add this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the kind of rain mentioned in the BB. And the fact of the ugly clothes being beautiful because of the behind them, well, that made me smile. Such a lovely sentiment. I really like the sound of this one. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine. https://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviews12419

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a really interesting read. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those opening lines might well describe the weather we are experiencing this evening, here in the south of the UK - and it is not even spring!

    This is an author who has been recommended to me several times, although I have yet to actually read one of her books.

    This sounds like a particularly emotionally charged story, which I can imagine was difficult to read at times.

    I am really intrigued to know the outcome for the family and hope that they managed to stay strong for one another and pull through - although that might just be wishful thinking on my part.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you enjoy the rest of the book and have a great reading weekend! Thanks for stopping by :)

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read this book late last year. There were parts that were hard to get through because of the situation and dynamics, but it was so worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.