"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, January 10, 2019

Friday Quotes: I Have the Right To

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

This is the book I'm reading right now---


Title: I Have the Right To: A High School Survivor's Story of Sexual Assault, Justice, and Hope by Chessy Prout

Book Beginning (Introduction):
"You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending."- C.S. Lewis
Friday 56:
"I knew I lived a comfortable life, but my parents never talked about money, and as a kid, I didn't really think about wealth, or class, or where my family fit in. I didn't understand what a rarefied world I was entering when I got to St. Paul's...The level of affluence and one-upmanship was astonishing."
Comments: I picked the second quote because Chessy, who was raped at boarding school, seemed to live in such a different world than the average teenager, yet, she still became a victim of sexual assault, too. She was fortunate that her parents believed her and were willing to stand by her side (and had the money and time to do so.) That is as far as I've gotten in the book, but from the book blurb, I know that she becomes an activist when she started the #IHaveTheRightTo hastag.

10 comments:

  1. I don't read a lot of nonfiction, but this looks really powerful.

    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds really good. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Odd name, sorry. Chessy. Just odd. The book is interesting though, and her story, heartbreaking but one that might hit home with many. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound like it'll be a powerful read. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish there had been more books like this when I was younger. I'd like to read this one.

    My Friday 56 from The Haunting Of Henderson Close

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adding this to my TBR list; it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too, don't really read much in the way of non-fiction, so whilst I totally admire what this young lady has done, it isn't a book for me!

    Your '56' quote probably took a lot of guts for her to admit and then commit to paper for the world to see, as some might make an instant judgment about her from just those few words.

    The C.S. Lewis quote was amazing and I was amazed that so few people had liked it on Goodreads, so I added my own voice to those figures and shared it on Twitter also.

    Thanks for sharing and enjoy your weekend :)

    Yvonne
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like it could be an intense read. Hope you'll find it good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a really powerful read. Hope you end up enjoying your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds very powerful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.