"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

TTT: Favorite Books of 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Books Read in 2018, by category:

Favorite young adult fiction (non-graphic): Picture Us In the Light by Kelly Loy Gilbert

Favorite adult fiction: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

Favorite graphic memoir: Hey, Kiddo by Jarrett Krosoczka

Favorite memoir: Educated by Tara Westover

Favorite graphic novel: The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang

Favorite book read for Cybils judging (JH/SH Nonfiction category): Boots on the Ground: America's War in Vietnam by Elizabeth Partridge

Favorite audiobook: Wisdom of Sundays: Life-Changing Insights from Super Soul Conversations with Oprah Winfrey

Favorite re-read: (tie)
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Going Bovine by Libba Bray
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
Favorite poetry: Devotions: Selected Poems of Mary Oliver

Favorite political: The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels by Jon Meacham (audiobook)

Favorite book club selection: Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders (audiobook)

Favorite Classic: True Grit by Charles Portis

Honorable Mention Nonfiction:
Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance
Dreaming the Beatles by Rob Sheffield
Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann

What was your favorite book read in 2018?


18 comments:

  1. The Prince and the Dressmaker is one of the graphic novels I'll be reading for the CYBILS so I'm glad to see you enjoyed it so much. The first four on your list were also books that I enjoyed in 2018. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am jealous. You will likely have some real winners in your batch.

      Delete
  2. Ooh I like how you broke this down into categories- that's a great way to do it! Station eleven sounds so good, and I remember the Great Lakes area setting appealed to me as well since I live in that area. I remember wanting to read Hillbilly Elegy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Eleanor Oliphant and just love John Meecham - that latest book is on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's new to me, but I've seen him quite often on MSNBC.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful list! I loved Eleanor and would probably say that was my favorite. So much in there to ponder about relationships, growth, caring and friendship. And humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful list! I've only read a couple of these, so now I have more books to add to my 2019 reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hoping to read Going Bovine really soon! Thanks for sharing, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m seeing Eleanor Oliphant on a lot of lists! I’ll have to add that one. Didn’t finish Killers...Moon. Too slow. But I was listening so maybe reading would be a better option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Killers of the Flower Moon is all new information for me. I listened to the audiobook but probably bumped it up to the listening speed of 1.25. That makes it move along.

      Delete
  8. I haven't read any of these, but I've got a couple of them on my wishlist. Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorites were Child Finder and Before We Were Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to read Eleanor Oliphant. I hear it's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to check out The Prince and the Dressmaker. Everyone seems to love that one. Hope your 2019 is filled with many more amazing books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine around on lists and all that jazz, but haven't really given it a second look. Given its popularity, perhaps I should! Hope 2019 is an amazing year for you - and for reading! Thanks so much for the Finding Wonderland visit. :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.