"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Classics Club Spin time is here again...and the spin number is...

It is Classics Club Spin time again.

What is the  Classics SPIN, you ask?

  • Pick twenty classics books that you’ve got left to read..
  • Post that list, numbered 1-20,  before Tuesday, November 27, 2018.
  • Classics club will announce a number from 1-20 on Tuesday. (See below for the spin number!)
  • Read that book by January 31, 2019. 
  • Here is my list (below.) Join me and read along or make your own list or just cheer me on.
Title
Author
Number
Bastard Out of Carolina
Allison, Dorothy
1
Agnes Grey
Bronte, Anne
2
The BFG
Dahl, Roald
3
If On a Winter's Night a Traveler
Calvino, Italo
4
Death Comes for the Archbishop
Cather, Willa
5
Moonstone, The
Collins, Wilkie
6
Tale of Two Cities, The
Dickens, Charles
7
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan
8
Big Sleep, The
Chandler, Raymond
9
Silas Marner
Eliot, George
10
Man's Search for Meaning
Frankel, Viktor
11
Bridge of San Luis Rey, The
Wilder, Thornton
12
Scarlet Letter, The
Hawthorne, Nathaniel
13
So Big
Ferber, Edna
14
Picture of Dorian Grey
Wilde, Oscar
15
Hiroshima
Hershey, John
16
Talented Mr. Ripley, The
Highsmith, Patricia
17
Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret
Blume, Judy
18
Wild Sargasso Sea
Rhys, Jean
19
Grapes of Wrath, The
Steinbeck, John
20


























I am really busy with Cybils judging right now so I won't start reading until late December. Notice, I've added two classic children's books this year and would dearly love an excuse to read both of them.

Watch this space. I will announce the spin number after the club announces the number on Tuesday!



And the SPIN number is....



















19

I will be reading Wild Sargasso Sea.  I've long wanted to read this book as a counterpoint to Jane Eyre. What will you be reading? Or will you join me? (Remember, I won't be starting the book until the end of December. Luck it is short.)




3 comments:

  1. I've read several of them and enjoyed them. I used to be much more into classic literature than I am now. I've gotten lazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have Hiroshima on my list this time too - so I've just moved it to no. 16 to we can share it :-)

    Good luck with the rest of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some great titles on the list and I look forward to seeing what you think of Wild...

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.