"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, November 19, 2018

Nonfiction November, Week four update and goals

I think things are going swimmingly this month with nonfiction reading and Cybils judging. Judge for yourself---

Books completed (or at least evaluated) last week:
  • (Don't) Call Me Crazy: 33 Voices Start the Conversation About Mental Health edited by Kelly Jensen Every essay I read, about 1/3rd of the book, was excellent. I hope to finish it in January after judging is completed. (Source: print version from the library.)
  • Google It: A History of Google: How Two Students' Mission to Organize the Internet Changed the World by Anna Crowley Redding. A good resource for all public and high school libraries but I was really irritated by the blue ink used for the font. I read about 1/4th of it. (Source: print version from the library.)
  • Just Mercy by Bryan Stephenson---a young reader's edition of the much lauded adult book by the same title. This is such an important book and message. It should be widely read. I read about 1/4th of it but I have read the adult version. (Source: print version from the library.)
  • The Strange True Tale of Frankenstein's Creator Mary Shelley by Catherine Reef. i learned a few new things and want to read Frankenstein more than ever. I read the whole book. (Source: print version from the library.)
  • Capsized!: The Forgotten Story of the SS Eastland Disaster by Patricia Sutton. A quick read about a shipping disaster which killed over 800 people in 1915. I read the whole book. (Source: e-book supplied by the publisher.)
  • They Lost Their Heads: What Happened to Washington's Teeth, Einstein's Brain, and Other Famous Body Parts by Carlyn Beccia Ha! This book is great fun. Perfect for the reluctant reader. I read 90% of the book. (Source: print version from the library.)
On deck for reading this coming week:
  • Unpunished Murder: Massacre at Colfax and the Quest for Justice by Lawrence Goldstone---I am currently reading this book about a horrible historical event I knew NOTHING about. (Source: print version from the library.)
  • Back From the Brink: Saving Animals From Extinction by Nancy F. Castaldo---Currently reading. I hope to finish it today. (Source: print version supplied by the publisher.)
  • The Disappearing Spoon (Young Reader's Edition) by Sam Kean... I purchased the audible version of this book and plan on listening to it during our drive to Oregon for Thanksgiving this week. (Source: audible purchased by me.)
  • Very, Very, Very Dreadful: The Influenza Pandemic of 1918 by Albert Marrin.--- I also purchased the audible version of this book for the return trip this weekend. I do have the print versions here, checked out from the library but I am attempting to kill two birds and listen while we drive (since I can't read while traveling in a car.)
  • Our Stories, Our Voices: 21 YA authors Get Real About Injustice, Empowerment, and Growing Up Female in America edited by Amy Reed. (Source: print version from library.)
  • The Wondrous Workings of Planet Earth: Understanding Our World and Its Ecosystem by Rachel Ignotofsky. (Source: print version supplied by publisher.)
  • Three Stars in the Night Sky: a Refugee Family's Odyssey of Separation and Reunion by Fern Schumer Chapman (Source: print version supplied by the author.)
  • The School's on Fire!: A True Story of Bravery, Tragedy, and Determination by Rebecca Jones (Source: e-book supplied by the publisher.)
Total books evaluated so far for Cybils: 26; total read in November: 15.


2 comments:

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.