"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, February 26, 2018

TTT: Re-reading books


Top Ten Tuesday: Books I have re-read. 
(The actual topic for today is "Books I Could Re-Read Forever" but I opted for a broader interpretation since I rarely reread books, so I no idea if there are any books I could re-read for ever.)



1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
To be honest I have never actually read the print edition but have listened to the audiobook many times and always look forward to listening to it again. This book would most likely fall into the category of  'I could reread forever.'

2. The Ladies of Missalonghi by Colleen McCullough
I went through a phase where I was so smitten by this book, that I reread it for several years in a row 

3. A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute
I loved the mini-series (circa 1980) so I found the book which was published in the 1950s. I reread it several times, delighting in it each time until the last time. I remember thinking that I no longer needed to reread this book, so I touched it and said goodbye.

5. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Not sure how many times I have read it all the way through, but I do love this one and find my way to it often.

6. Persuasion by Jane Austen
I can't ever decide which I like better this one or P & P. Who cares? Reread them both!

7. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
One of the funniest books every written. It is worth a reread now and then when I am feeling like my reading selections have veered too far into the seriousness realm.

8. Looking for Alaska by John Green
This is the first YA novel I remember reading after I became a YA librarian. It blew me away. It still does every time I reread it.

9. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
I first read this book in 6th grade. I reread it several more times that year. When I reread it to my daughters it wasn't as magical as I remembered but now I want to reread it before I see the movie.

10. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis (all seven books)
I first read these favorite books as a young girl. Then reread them as a teenager, When my children were young, we read them together, and then again together when they were teenagers. They love the series, too.

****

11. The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
I just decided to reread this series today and so I am starting back at the beginning. (Yes, Carly. I am finally rereading these books!)

I am sure that I have reread a few other books here and there but not many. 
There are so many books that I haven't
 read it is hard to want to reread others.

25 comments:

  1. YAY for Narnia!! Love seeing those on some of the lists today. First I have to finish the series before I can even add them to my potential re-reads. :D

    Someone once told me their favorite Austen is Persuasion. Because of this, I look forward to someday giving that one a chance; despite not being an Austen reader.

    Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list, we share Hitchikers and Harry Potter. I have only ever read To kill a mockingbird once but I keep on seeing on peoples lists today, so I may well have to re-read it too.

    I have added Looking for Alaska to my tbr, I rarely read YA books but this one looks great.

    https://engrossedblog.wordpress.com/2018/02/27/books-i-could-re-read-forever

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm currently making my way through Narnia every now and again. It is a wonderful series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I have somehow avoided reading Hitchhiker's Guide all this time - not intentionally, I just haven't gotten around to it - but I'm buddy reading it in May with my fiance as it's his favorite book, and his birthday and Towel Day are both in May, lol! I do love the film adaptation so I'm sure the book is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for being a fellow lover of Persuasion! It's my absolute favourite Austen (and also on my list for this week).

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Kill A Mockingbird was one of the few classics from high school I enjoyed reading, so I think I might reread it? Harry Potter is one of mine, though.

    Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  7. To Kill a Mockingbird is a book I definitely enjoyed a couple of times over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Persuasion and A Wrinkle in Time almost made it on to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great list! I love Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion. The Chronicles of Narnia and Harry Potter are excellent choices as well. Here is our Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent list. I don't generally re-read books, but sometimes I do re-read my favorite parts of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that, too, which often draws me back into the book.

      Delete
  11. I have also re-read the Harry Potter series, but also Barbara Kingsolver's Animal Dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried re-reading Animal Dreams but got derailed. Maybe I should try again.

      Delete
  12. I love Harry Potter. I had a feeling we'll be seeing this on a lot of people's lists today. And, To Kill a Mockingbird is a great one too.

    My TTT Post

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes to Narnia and Harry Potter! Also P&P. I didn't like the book initially but the second time I tried, I ended up adoring it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love A Wrinkle in Time and with the movie coming out, I really want to reread it. I love Persuasion, but haven't gotten a chance to reread it. Maybe this is the year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How wonderful that we shared so many favourite re-reads :-)
    Love the Aussie books too.
    Harry nearly made mine, except I've only read the last 4 books once. I start re-reading from the beginning each time & life sidetracks me at book 3 each time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need to reread Harry Potter again soon, I can't actually remember the last time I did a reread!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/02/27/top-ten-tuesday-148/

    ReplyDelete
  17. To Kill A Mockingbirds made my post this week too!! I love that book!

    Here's a link to my TTT for this week: https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2018/02/top-ten-tuesday-top-20-books-i-want-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. You bring up a really good point! I think I've read the first-half of many of my fave re-reads a million times, but don't know how many I've actually followed through all the way to the end. Pride and Prejudice is a great example of one I'm always stopping and starting :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great list! I need to reread the Harry Potter series soon and I need to read Looking for Alaska too!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice list! I guess Harry Potter is going to be on everyone's list today :D

    I loved Looking for Alaska considering John Green is one of my favs. I loved To Kill a Mockingbird too.

    I can't re-read books.. like ever. Simply because my unread TBR is higher than the books that I have actually read! Yes, no time to re-read :D

    My TTT: http://flippingthruthepages.com/2018/02/10-tv-series-worth-binge-watch/

    ReplyDelete
  21. To Kill a Mockingbird is one that should of been on my list too! That is one I could re-read over and over.
    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the Hitchhiker's Guide- I could do with a reread too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great list of re-reads, Anne! To Kill a Mockingbird, Narnia series, and A Wrinkle in Time are all on my list, too. AWIT was my all-time favorite book as a kid, so I read it multiple times back then (and played Meg in our school play of it!) and then read it aloud to our sons. I loved the rest of the series, too. I read all the Narnia books as a kid after my 2nd grade teacher read Lion, Witch & Wardrobe aloud to us, and my husband and I read the entire series aloud to our sons.

    I have only read one Jane Austen book, Emma, and I didn't love it (I know, I know).

    Poisonwood Bible is on my re-read list, too - I have read it twice and was just as entranced by it the second time.

    Fun list!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.