"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, February 12, 2018

And the YOUTH MEDIA AWARDS go to...

The YMA Awards were announced last night and the YA winners are: (For the full list click here)

1. Michael L. Printz Award (Best YA literature of the year) 
  • We Are OKay by Nina LaCour- Award
  • The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas- Honor
  • Vincent and Theo by Deborah Heiligman- Honor
  • Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor -Honor
  • Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds
2. Schneider Family Book Award (Teen living with a disability)
  • You're Welcome Universe by Whitney Gardner (Ages 14-18)
3. Alex Awards - 10 Best adult books that appeal to teen audiences   
  • All Systems Red (Wells)
  • The Clockwork Dynasty (Wilson)
  • Down Among the Sticks and Bones (McGuire)
  • Electric Arches (Ewing)
  • A Hope More Powerful than the Sea (Fleming)
  • Malagash (Comeau)
  • Roughneck (Lemire)
  • She Rides Shotgun (Harper)
  • Things We Have In Common (Kavanagh)
  • An Unkindness of Magicians (Howard)
    4. Margaret A. Edwards Award (An author who has made a significant contribution to YA or Children's Lit)
    • Name of author : Angela Johnson 
    5. Stonewall Children's and Young Adult Literature (LGBT) :
    • The 57 Bus: A True Story of Two Teenagers and the Crime That Changed Their Lives by Dashka Slater -Award tie
    • Little and Lion by Brandy Colbert- Award Tie
    • A Gentleman's Guide to Virtue and Vice by Mckenzie Lee- Honor
    • As the Crow Flies by Melanie Gillman - Honor
    6. William C. Morris Award (First YA novel by author)
    • The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas- Award
    7. YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults 
    • Vincent and Theo by Deborah Heiligman- Award
      8. Coretta Scott King Book Award (African American Author) 
      • Piecing Me Together by Renee Watson-Award
      • Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds-Honor
      • The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas -Honor
      • (The third honor book goes to a children's book)
      9. Pura Belpre (Latino Author) 
      • (The award  and honor books are all for middle grade readers)
      10Odyssey Award (Audio Book)
      • The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, read by Bahni Turpin- Award
      • Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds, read by the author -Honor
      • The Book of Dust: La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman, read by Michael Sheen- Honor
      • (The other two honor books are middle grade or children's books)
      11. Sibert Informational  Book Award (Distinguished Informational books)
      • Twelve Days in My: Freedom Ride 1961 by Larry Dane Brimner -Award (Ages 10-17)
      12. Mildred Batchelder Award (Translated into English)
      • (Both the winner and the honor books are middle grade or children's books)
      13. Laura Ingalls Wilder Author Award (An author or illustrator whose work has had a substantial and lasting effect on Children's literature)
      • Author name: Jacqueline Woodson
      14. Newbery Medal (Most outstanding contribution to children's literature)
      • (The award book and one honor book are for middle grade or children readers)
      • Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds- Honor 
      • Piecing Me Together by Renee Watson- Honor
      Comments: I am generally very pleased with this year's winners and honor books. I have read a lot of the titles, which I have highlighted in yellow, and I have heard of most of the others. Books marked with the aqua highlight were part of the Bethel School District Mock Printz list of books. Every year we try to divine which books will be those that receive awards. We didn't do too bad this year! As in the past, many of the awards did not honor any YA titles, but this year many more categories than usual DID give an award or an honor to at least one YA title. I was really, especially pleased to see that the Newbery Medal, the oldest and most prestigious of all book awards for children's literature, gave honors to two YA titles. 

      Surprises: I am surprised to see We Are Okay as the Printz winner. I read the book and really didn't like it. I know that happens sometimes. When I would hear other people praise it I would wonder if we actually read the same book. Maybe I'd better go back and try it again.  The other surprise was the honor for Strange the Dreamer. I just told someone this past weekend that I hoped it would win something but I doubted it would because it is the first book in a series. Well, I was wrong and I am glad about it. One more surprise. I have not even heard of any of the Alex Award books. These are the adult titles that have crossover appeal for teens. I used to try to purchase a few of them for my library. The new librarian may have to do some deep research to determine if she wants any of these titles. I can't say anything about any of them.

      For the complete list of awards and winners, including middle grade and children's titles, click here.

      Now I guess we'd all better get out our list of books we want to read and add a few more titles to it. Happy reading.



      4 comments:

      1. I was happy with most of the winners, but also surprised that We Are Okay won. I liked it, but wouldn't have voted it best.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. We Are OKay was not one of my favorites, either. In fact, I singlehandedly left it off our Mock Printz list. Er.r.r mistake!

          Delete
      2. I've only read Long Way Down! I'm bad this year...I guess I have have caught the retirement bug. I'm most surprised by the ALEX awards, which I usually pay a lot of attention to. I have only heard of one of these books, and haven't put any of them on my list to purchase. Thanks for publishing this. I've had a hard time finding just a simple listing of all the award books.

        ReplyDelete
      3. I feel that way about films too. I don't understand what people see in "Three Billboards..." It won the Golden Globe and is nominated for Best Picture at the Academy Awards. I've heard nothing but good glowing things about The Hate U Give.

        ReplyDelete

      I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.