"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, February 5, 2018

SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION – FROM LINCOLN IN THE BARDO TO....

SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION...LINCOLN IN THE BARDO

Six Degrees of Separation. 
We begin with
Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
Lincoln in the Bardo builds upon a seed of historical truth around President Lincoln and the death of his son, Willie. It was the number one recommended book of 2017.
The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
Another story which builds upon a seed of historical truth about the underground railroad operating during the time of slavery. It includes elements of magical realism. It was one of the most recommended books of 2016.
Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
A look at one multi-generational family and the affects of slavery on both sides of the Atlantic...in America and in Africa.
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
Another book which involves a multi-generational family on two sides of the world, this time in Armenia and America (Detroit.) The book won the Pulitzer Prize probably because of the audacious and amazing narrator.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
Talking about audacious narrators, this book has a very unique and interesting tone because of the narrator who is on the autistic spectrum.

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
A hilarious story about Don Tillman, another character who is on the autistic spectrum. We read this in book club and really enjoyed it.

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
That brings us around full circle folks since, like the above mentioned book, we will be reading this book in our club this March.

I had no idea when I started this list that I would end here. 
Join in the fun. Make your own Six Degrees of Separation list.

Hosted by Books Are My Favourite and Best


10 comments:

  1. I like this meme! We did a circle more than a chain so our was more predictable where we would end up and as one of our members said it is a sad meme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your chain Anne. I did one recently which linked a couple of books on different narrators but I don't think I used the term "audacious" which is perfect.

    I love that your grey p enjoyed Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silly autocorrect... Group of course

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so good at this! My brain just doesn't work this way to figure it out by myself, but I like seeing it in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you created a circle with your #6degrees this time - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! I love all your choices, and it;s so fun to discover the links between them!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Middlesex and the Incident and The Rosie Project! great list - I hope your bookclub likes Lincoln in the Bardo. It generated a lot of discussion in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! A chain that is filled with oks that I've either read or own - I don't think that has happened before! Coincidentally, I saw the stage production of Curious Incident last week - it was really amazing and so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this. I've also read the Rosie Project with my bookclub, loved it! Here's my list https://geejenmotw.wordpress.com/2018/02/11/six-degrees-of-separation-a-new-meme/

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.