"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Saturday, February 10, 2018

My Youth Media Awards 2018


Monday the real YMAs will be announced. Here are the YA books I hope will win:

1. Michael L. Printz Award (Best YA literature of the year) 
  • The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas
2. Schneider Family Book Award (Teen living with a disability)
  • Turtles All the Way Down by John Green (Anxiety and OCD)
3. Alex Awards -Best adult books that appeal to teen audiences   
  • Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann
    4. Margaret A. Edwards Award (An author who has made a significant contribution to YA or Children's Lit)
    • Name of author _____?_______________ 

    5. Stonewall Children's and Young Adult Literature (LGBT) 
    • The 57 Bus: A True Story of Two Teenagers and the Crime That Changed Their Lives by Dashka Slater
    6. William C. Morris Award (First YA novel by author)
    • The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
    7. YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults 
    • Vincent and Theo by Deborah Heiligman
      8. Coretta Scott King Author Award (African American Author) 
      • Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds
      9. Pura Belpre (Latino Author) 
      • Disappeared by Francisco X. Stork
      10Odyssey Award (Audio Book)
      • All the Crooked Saints by Maggie Stiefvater, read by Thom Rivera
      Now we wait and see what the Real Committees select. Since I am now retired I didn't read as many potential winners this year as in years past so I very well may have missed some of the best.  Results available Monday, Feb. 12th.

      5 comments:

      1. So many of the books on your list are my favorites! I can't wait to see who they pick on Monday

        ReplyDelete
      2. I liked #3, but I don't see it attracting too many teens.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. The Alex Awards go to adult books which have crossover appeal to teens. The list is ten books long and usually has a few nonfiction titles. That is why I included it. I think the mystery part is pretty exciting and would attract certain teen readers.

          Delete
      3. I like your list....especially since I've read most of them!

        ReplyDelete
      4. The Hate U Give better win those two awards!

        ReplyDelete

      I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.