"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, February 4, 2018

Sunday Salon....Super Bowl Sunday

Cousin love!
Weather: Typical overcast weather, but not too much rain.

Super Bowl: So I am an anti-Patriots fan. I guess that means I am rooting for the Eagles by default. More fun are the commercials. So far my favorite one is Danny DeVito as a M and M. Ha!  I also am enjoying the Justin Timberlake halftime entertainment with a special guest appearance from Prince...Purple Rain. Otherwise, Don and I are having a typical Sunday... grocery shopping for Fresh20 ingredients; laundry; blogging. I've made dough for homemade pizza.

Thrive: Today our church choir sang a Casting Crowns song, "Thrive." It was such a tremendous moment of worship. I thought to make a  video of it but realized too late that I had left my phone at home. Last weekend when we were putting together the food packages for Feed My Starving Children, this song was played over the speaker system. When the song started all the members of the choir started singing along. "O-o-o-o-o, we were made to thrive." So you can hear the song, here is the actual Casting Crowns video. I hope you, too, enjoy it.


Last Friday: I took Ian to Olympia so that Don could show off his grandson to his staff. Ian did great, smiling and interacting with all the people. Don was sure a proud grandpa.

Girl Cousins (and Ian): Yesterday my cousins Bridgette and Carolyn, my Aunt Dee, and Bridgette's daughter Zoe came over to meet Ian and Rita. We had a wonderful visit. Ian and Zoe were so cute attempting to kiss each other...but what is a kiss from a 5 month-old?

Books read the last two weeks:
  • Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House by Michael Wolff---I can't help but roll my eyes when I think about the ineptitude of the folks running the country right now. (Nonfiction, eBook)
  • The Lost History of Stars by Dave Boling---about the second Boer War in South Africa around 1900. It is horrible what the British did to civilians during this war. A RHS Ladies Book club selection. (Fiction, audio.)
  • Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks, A Librarian's Love Letters and Breakup Notes to the Books in Her Life by Annie Spence--- the subtitles tell the reader what to expect. What one doesn't expect is the plethora and variety of love letters and  breakup notes she writes to books. (Nonfiction, audio)
  • Far From the Tree by Robin Benway--- three teenagers who were adopted as children by different families, discover they have siblings and together they search for their mother. (Fiction, print)
  • Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks --- another book club selection. Set in Colonial New England where a young girl befriends an Indian youth which possibly sets the course of his life on a different trajectory. Heartbreaking. (Fiction, audio)
Currently reading:
  • The Librarian of Auschwitz by Antonio Iturbe--- based on a real person, Dita Kraus, who helped guard precious books for use by the prisoners. (Print, 13%)
  • Finding My Elegy: New and Selected Poems by Ursula K. Le Guin--- the celebrated fantasy author died this past week. I wanted to read something by her as a tribute. Poems seemed like the thing. (Print, 25%)
  • Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Gann--- another book club selection. This one reads like a murder mystery but it is about true events. We are going to have a great discussion. I just know it. (Audio, 75%)
I don't get it: If Trump is innocent of colluding with the Russians during the campaign then why doesn't he just sit still and let the Mueller inquiry finish its fact finding? The GOP/Nunes memo released this week was a total dud and did not prove his innocence. 


5 comments:

  1. I’m suddenly very interested in Killers of the Flower Moon. I’m curious what you and your book group think.

    Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying Killers of the Flower Moon too! I'm an anti-Patriots fan (good way to put it), so I was rooting for the Eagles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, you've asked the key question at the end of this post! I agree. If he fired Mueller, he totally looks guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha - I liked the Danny Devito/M&Ms ad, too! But my fave was the Alexa ad - So clever and funny! The Steven Tyler one was good, too. We live close to Philly so our area went CRAZY over the Eagles win and we got caught up in the excitement :)

    Glad you liked Caleb's Crossing, too - Brooks is one of my favorite authors. I really want to read Dear Fahrenheit 451.

    And my book group is ALSO reading Killers of the Flower Moon this month! I just requested it from my library today - can;t wait - it was a finalist for the National Book Award.

    As always, your grandson is SO adorable!!

    Enjoy your books this week, Anne -

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to read the David Gann book too. It's widely popular right now! I believe someday it'll be known that Trump: a) money-laundered b) colluded & c) obstructed justice. And I'm an anti-patriot fan too.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.