"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, February 1, 2018

Friday Quotes: The Librarian of Auschwitz

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now---



Title: The Librarian of Auschwitz by Antonio Itube

Book Beginning:
The Nazi officers are dressed in black. They look at death with the indifference of a gravedigger.
Friday 56:
He stops for a moment, and the others respect his silence. They even look down as if to prevent themselves from looking immodestly at the naked mother hugging her daughter.
Comment: I am really enjoying this book, if I can use that word about a horrific holocaust story. A teenage girl is put in charge of keeping track of the eight illegal, horded books and making sure the guards do not find them. It is so inspiring hearing about how precious these books are to the prisoners. It is based on a real story of prisoner Dita Kraus. The book is translated from Spanish. I am amazed at what a good job the translator, Lilit Zekulin Thwaites, has done.



19 comments:

  1. Hi Anne, yes, it does sound odd 'enjoying' a book about a Holocaust, but we understand :) It actually sounds really good. I'd love to read this!

    Have a great weekend, and thank you for visiting my blog. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes it all the more powerful to know it is based on the story of a real person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book does sound like one that would grip the reader. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this book but I do love the sound of it. What a fascinating story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fantastic and emotional read, one I'd need to bring tissues for. That naked mom and daughter part got me choked up enough... Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one sounds to intense for me. I hope you keep enjoying it. I'd love for you and your readers to check out my BB & 56 for today . . . https://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsCF-BASB

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard about this book. I'm happy to read that your enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I literally had this book in my hand at Barnes & Noble the other night. I will probably read this at some point, but I'm not ready to right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one looks interesting. Enjoy your current read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen this book before, but it sounds like something I'd like to read. Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like an intriguing story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I've seen this one around. I'm glad you are liking it so much. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have had this one on my TBR and I think it sounds like a fantastic book. I hope that you continue to enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to read this! I like WWII fiction and from you description of this one, it sounds like a book lover's must read. I am glad to hear you are enjoying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sure this is a powerful and emotional read, Anne. Sounds amazing!
    Jo-Ann at Inspiration Pie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wanted to enjoy this book more than I did. I thought it was good, but I wanted to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been seeing this one make the rounds on blogs and Goodreads and I'm glad you're enjoying it. The writing style seems very concise and melancholy and that really intrigues me. I'll have to pick it up. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been meaning to read this - glad to hear you're enjoying it! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.