"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Friday Quotes: Wild Things

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now---


Title: Wild Things: The Joy of Reading Children's Literature as an Adult by Bruce Handy


Book Beginnings:
(Introduction) "The New England Primer, thought to be the first American children's book, was published in Boston circa 1690. Through numerous editions it remained popular into the nineteenth century, though I can't imagine that any actual child, no matter how pious or masochistic or dull-witted, read it with much relish. Here, for instance, is one of the lessons from a 1777 edition (you will have to imagine the grim little woodcuts that accomplished it): Love God. / Use no ill words. / Fear God. / Tell no lies. / Serve God. / Hate Lies."
Friday 56: (56%)
[Referring to the symbolism in The Chronicles of Narnia]: "'The author almost certainly did not want his readers to notice the resemblance of the Narnian theology to the Christian story,' writes Lewis's friend and biographer Geaorge Sayer." 

Comments: I have been interested in reading this book (or at least part of it) and so I placed a hold on it at the library. It just became available yesterday and so I haven't had a chance to read any of it yet. But it does seems pretty technical. I hope it isn't over my head. The themes of the chapters are pretty fun: New Eyes, New Ears (Goodnight Moon); Runaways: Family drama in picture books; Once upon a time and Maurice Sendak; Talking Animals (Beatrix Potter to Olivia the Pig); You have to know how (Dr. Seuss vs. Dick and Jane); Kids being kids (Ramona Quimby) ; God and Man (Narnia); One Nation; Going on Seventeen (Little Women and Peter Pan); The end (Dead pets, grandparents).


16 comments:

  1. Hi Anne,

    Yes, I agree. Funny since I've featured a children's book today myself, and I'm an adult. ;)

    http://bit.ly/2F5OwEE

    Have a lovely weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably not one I would attempt but I do enjoy children's books and I'm way past childhood:)

    My Friday 56 from Witch Creek

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the concept of this but am not sure I'm ready for a technical book right now. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fascinating read for book lovers! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree wholeheartedly about reading children's books. I even have a separate blog devoted to them at http://blog.wrappedinfoil.com/

    I did notice the examples are all classics. Some exceptional children's books have come out in the last few years that could have been included.

    Thanks for visiting It's A Mystery blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seeing the words "wild things" reminded me of a favorite book from when my kids were little...Where the Wild Things Are.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does look interesting. I think of children's books as being less intentional than I think they really are. They are just as full of messages and symbolism as adult reading. (lately, even more so!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a book I'd enjoy. I like reading books about books especially if they are books I have read. I'm spotlighting Lake Silence by Anne Bishop - her latest set in the world of The Others. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this book on hold at the library now, it does look really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book is so cool! I've read the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, someone mentioned the God theme so I kept it in mind. The symbolism and comparisons are so interesting and so well done. Thanks for sharing :)

    Jo-Ann at Inspiration PIe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like an interesting read. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that as you grow older, there is a great opportunity to appreciate things in books that you didn't see as a kid. Hope you enjoy this one! And have fun on your road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like it could be fascinating.

    Thanks for visiting my blog earlier, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been curious about this book as well, especially since I started reading more and more children's books. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've wondered about this one, too! Will be interested to see what you think.

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.