"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Friday Quotes: The Trouble With Poetry

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now---



Title: The Trouble With Poetry and Other Poems by Billy Collins

Book Beginnings:
"You, Reader"

I wonder how you are going to feel
when you find out
that I wrote this instead of you.

Friday 56:
"The Drive"

There were four of us in the car
early that summer evening,
short-hopping from one place to another,
thrown together by a light toss of circumstances.

Comment: the title of the poem is in quotes. The first stanza of each poem is all I gave you. In "You, Reader", Billy Collins teases the reader for not writing the poem before he did. It makes me smile to think of that sort of jab. "The Drive" is about a group of friends out for a drive when the driver starts making belittling comments about"you", which causes the narrator to start picturing the driver's head as a butcher might a cow, with a little map of cuts. He obviously is a comedic poet and i enjoy Collins a lot.


15 comments:

  1. Ha! Love that beginning!

    By the way, I've tagged you for The Longest Book Tag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beginning is pretty awesome. I don't read much poetry, but this one looks pretty interesting. Thanks for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure this would be for me. I am so finicky about poetry since we all interpret it differently. I hope you love it though. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How unique! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the opening of the first poem you shared! It made me chuckle. :-) I will have to look for this collection. It sounds good! Have a great weekend, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting but I'm not a big fan of poetry. I'm reading White Hot by Ilona Andrews this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a huge poetry fan but I like both stanzas that you've shared here. The Drive especially sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The beginning raises questions so I'd like to read more. I like poetry, so count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love that beginning! I got a bit of goosebumps on my arms :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't read much poetry, but this sounds very interesting! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book sounds like it is a lot of fun! I am not too familiar with this author, but the comedic poetry aspect is interesting. I hope that you enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's really pretty. Thank you for sharing. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great beginning! Hope you are having a lovely, lazy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have yet to learn to love poetry, but hope I do one day. I liked The Book Beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the beginning sounds so good! Emma @ Words And Peace

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.