"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, August 11, 2017

Friday Quotes: Ordinary Grace

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now---


Title: Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger

Book Beginning:
Prologue--All the dying that summer began with the death of a child, a boy with golden hair and thick glasses, killed on the railroad tracks outside New Bremen, Minnesota, sliced into pieces by a thousand tons of steel speeding across the prairie toward South Dakota.
Friday 56:
"Being in love. Is it kind of gooey?" I asked my sister. 
She laughed. "At first it is lovely. Then it is scary. Then..." She looked toward the hills of town, toward the Heights. "It's complicated," she said.
Comment: this is a book club selection for me. So far I am blown away by the writing and the intricate plotting of this book. It is reading a bit like a mystery. A man, Frank, is looking back on his life when he was a thirteen-year-old. That summer he experienced death in many forms: murder, natural, suicide and it proved to be the summer when he shifted from boy to man. I am only about 1/3rd finished by I think it is very well done. Have you read any good Coming-of-age books you recommend?

16 comments:

  1. The contrast between the grim beginning and the conversation is interesting. Hope you enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of this one. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently bought a copy of this one to read because it came highly recommended. I am glad to hear you are enjoying it so far, Anne. I think I will like it as well.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book does seem like it has a mystery element to it. Sort of reminds me of Stand By Me a little bit. I hope that you enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds very interesting! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of the most amazing books I've read all year, and one of the most beautiful endings I ever remember reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And it is a mystery. It won the Edgar. The characters are incredibly well developed and the writing is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, this is an adorable excerpt. I love it so much. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My book club just read this one a couple of months ago. I'd direct you to the blog to read my review but maybe wait til you're done reading the book. In case I wrote anything spoilerish. Enjoy!
    @lostinliterature108.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. My book club just read this one a couple of months ago. I'd direct you to the blog to read my review but maybe wait til you're done reading the book. In case I wrote anything spoilerish. Enjoy!
    @lostinliterature108.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds so good! The beginning definitely drew me in, and I loved the Friday 56 quote as well! Have a great time reading the last two thirds of your book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you featured Ordinary Grace. It's one of my favorite novels. I love Wm. Kent Krueger's series with the Cork O'Connor, but this stand-alone novel is superb. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you're enjoying your book club pick!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.