"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Friday Quotes, Station Eleven, June 26th

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City Reader
The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice
 
Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now: 

Book Title: Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Book Beginnings:
The king stood in a pool of blue light, unmoored. This was act 4 of King Lear, a winter night at the Elgin Theatre in Toronto.
Friday 56: 
"There's a prophet," Kirsten said. "There are grave markers with their names of them. The midwife said I should quit asking questions and we should leave quickly."
Comments: the opening line occurs before the catastrophic event that kills nearly 99% of mankind. The quote from page 56 is made by a character in a traveling theater troupe after the apocalypse. I just finished the book today and it certainly and frighteningly seems like it could be possible...the end of the world as we know it. But no matter what we still have a need for the arts.

21 comments:

  1. Great pick I have read your message on my blog and I think it is your computer that is making everything look weird because I enlarge the text changed a dull color blue and I used a different font. Plus it looks alright on my iPad and my Kindle Fire and I also went to the library to check it out there on there computers and it also looks fine I am sorry it is not looking good on your computer. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes fonts I select that look good on my computer don't translate well into HTML. Sometimes it is best to use basic fonts.

      Delete
  2. I'm intrigued by Station Eleven. Thank you for explaining what's going on in your comments.
    FYI: I also could not read the text in Katiria's post (on my desktop computer). I'll try again on my laptop.
    My Friday post features The Runaway Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Station Eleven grew on me. I wasn't sure about it for a long time since the story line kept jumping back and forth in time.

      Delete
  3. Wow, what an intriguing concept - I am a huge fan of apocalyptic books, they are always so thought provoking about the nature of man kind.

    Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read too many apocalyptic adult books, more YA ones. This one was well-written.

      Delete
  4. I love knowing that there's still traveling theater after the apocalypse ... at least in the book. It gives the theater geek in me some hope ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this one. Thank for explaining the BB and 56. This is a subject that scares the snot out of me. I can get nightmares reading about or watching things dealing with the apocalypse. I'd love it if you'd visit my blog ... http://lisaksbookthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not sure I would read this, however I love your choice. Here is mine
    http://totallyaddictedtoreading.blogspot.com/2015/06/friday-56-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got this one on my summer reading list. Had it a while and wanted to move it up so I could get started. It's my kind of story, for sure.

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/06/26/the-friday-56-67-shadow-of-danger-by-kristine-mason/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will enjoy it. Move it up on the list so you can get to it soon.

      Delete
  8. Sounds so frightening and intense...thanks for sharing. And thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds interesting. I don't think I've read an adult post-apocalyptic story though I've read many for young adults. You can see my posts at #27 and #28 on Freda's linky. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sound of the setting for this. I'd like to know what kind of dynamic this troupe (which usually brings happiness) would bring to a world that has suffered so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately the apocalyptic part was more of the plot than the drama portion of the group.

      Delete
  11. This was one of my favorite reads of the last,... oh... 10 years! I adored this book and chose it for book club. I'm so glad others are finding it and the moral that preserving a little culture may be adding a little humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW. Great recommendation. Thanks for letting me know how much you liked the book.

      Delete
  12. I've heard nothing but good things about this book - another one to add to my ever-growing TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wasn't crazy about this particular book, but I like the author.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

  14. I listened to the audiobook. I wonder if that made the difference for me.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.