"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Friday Quotes, June 5th

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City Reader
The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice
 
Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now: 

Book: The Same Sky by Amanda Eyre Ward

Book Beginnings: 
Carla: My mother left when I was five years old.
Friday 56:
...one night Humberto cut a line down the center of his palm with a broken Fanta bottle and made me do the same. We pressed our bloody hands together and promised each other we'd never sniff Resistol. I have kept my promise.
My thoughts: This is a story told by two women living very different lives. Carla, who is quoted twice above, is from Honduras and lives in abject poverty. Her mother left her to go to the USA for work. Alice lives in Texas and has just about everything anyone could want except a baby. I am finding the story very disturbing. Resistol is glue. These impoverished children sniff it to keep the hunger pangs down. Sad.


7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a heart wrenching read, hope you enjoy it

    Please take a peek at mine http://www.thereadinghead.com/friday-56-meets-book-beginnings-4/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Liza. It does sound good - I think I add it to my tbr. :)

    Check out my 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my, this one does sound like a page-turner! Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “IN THE UNLIKELY EVENT”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this one grabs the heart. I've known a couple of women who experienced a mother leaving Central America for work in the U.S., leaving their children behind. It's a hard story to share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad beginning, and I wonder if Humberto kept his vow as well... good ones!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The opening and your quotes are intriguing. I think I'd like this one.

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/06/05/the-friday-56-64-hexed/

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.