"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, June 19, 2015

Friday Quotes, June 19th

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City Reader
The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice
 
Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now: 

Book title: The Tightrope Walkers by David Almond

Book Beginnings: 
I was born in a hovel on the banks of the Tyne, as so many of us were back then. It was a three-room dilapidated upstairs flat, in the same terraced row where Dad had been born, and just upriver from the Simpson's shipyard.
Friday 56: (from page 59)-
The tightrope walker came on last. His rope was strung between two poles. He danced into the ring. He had a sky-blue cloak on his back. He too roamed the ring to show himself to everyone. He called out to us in an accent none of us suspected could exist in our world.
My comments: The narrator of this coming-of-age tale is Dominique. He and his family live in Northern England during the Cold War. Dominique and his family are quite poor, not only in finances but also in experiences so when the circus comes to town it is a big deal. He and his friend Holly decide they want to become tightrope walkers after their experience at the circus.

I am listening to the audiobook version of the book marvelously read by Richard Halverson who grew up in northern England so the accent is appropriate and a treat for me to listen to.




6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fascinating story. It's fun to experience other eras and lifestyles through books.
    My Friday post features What I Remember Most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sounds of the 56. Puts you right in the circus tent, spectating.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It brought to mind the few times I went to the circus as a child.

      Delete
  3. I like the image of a tightrope walker....thanks for sharing, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE David Almond's Skellig so I'd like to give this one a go! And what a clever cover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an interesting read. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.