"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Sunday Salon, May 31st

Another photo of beautiful Alaska
Weather: Lovely and warm. Spring in the NW. Ah!

Today: Our church celebrated the paving of our parking lot. You scoff!? We have suffered through years of a gravel lot with potholes and puddles. Now we are starting a building project at church with a welcoming parking lot. Next phase, a new office wing, lastly a new kitchen (which was the most needed project of them all!)

Yesterday: we hosted a party for National Guard friends who are leaving for a year-long course (War College) in Alabama. We ate and ate and ate and still had a ton of food left over. Ribs, brats, pork shoulder, shrimp, salads, cookies, chips, and beer. Tonight leftovers!

This coming week: textbooks, textbooks. textbooks. The end of each school year is mostly about the collection of and repairing the textbooks we've collected. This year we are boxing up, for surplus, all the math textbooks. No small number of books. You know what that means? Where do we find the number of boxes we need?

Grace Abuse: My friend Theo and I are teaching a class for adults during Sunday School hour. The topic is the grace of God. Today's lesson, which is worthy of a thought, asked the question--- is there a point of being good if you know that God will forgive you later? We really had a thoughtful discussion on this topic. (Read Romans 6 and 7, and Colossians 3 for some help with the answer.)

Books read this week:

  • Audacity by Melanie Crowder---written in verse; historical fiction; an immigrant story---from Russia to New York; poor working conditions in the sewing factories prior to the Triangle Shirtwaist fire. I loved this book. The poetry was superb. The history handled expertly.
  • Mosquitoland by David Arnold---I'm pretty sure that I just finished an award-winning book. This book is amazing. Audiobook.
Currently reading:
  • The Same Sky by Amanda Ward---my current audiobook; a book club selection.
  • The Game of Love and Death by Martha Brockenbrough---set in Seattle; another historical novel, set in the 1930s.

Deadheading: I love rhododendrons but hate deadheading them. But if I don't do it each year after the blooms are spent then the bush looks so ugly all year. So outside I head to deadhead a few of the bushes. Maybe I can talk my daughter into joining me.

Have a good week.  Can you believe it is June tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.