"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

TTT: Books I will Never Read

When I contemplate my list, compared to others I have seen, I have to laugh at myself and how seriously I took this assignment.  Of course I am not going to read most of these books. In fact, I suspect that no one is reading most of them anymore, with the exception of Fifty Shades of Gray.

I actually like my 10th selection. Please scroll down to the bottom and read that item, at least.



Books I Will Never Read
1.       1. Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler, c. 1925.
a.       Why? Because Hitler and the philosophy in his book started WWII and the holocaust.
b.      I do not care to read where all this hatred came from.
2.      2.  Quotations from Mao Tse-Tung (Mao’s Little Red Book), c. 1964
a.       Why? Because his book was used to beat people over the head in China.
b.       The Cultural Revolution Chairman Mao started set their country back.
3.       3. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, c. 1962
a.       I actually tried and couldn’t make myself finish this book.
b.      So much needless violence.
4.       4. Fifty Shades of Grey Trilogy by EL James, c. 2012
a.       Why? Um…isn’t it kind of obvious?
b.      I don’t want those thoughts in my head.
5.       5. New Moon (etc.) by Stephanie Meyer, c. 2008
a.       I read Twilight and decided that was enough.
b.      I understand the craze but didn’t feel like torturing myself reading the poor writing.
6.       6. Sexual Behavior in the Human Male by Alfred Kinsey, c. 1948
a.       Outdated?
b.      And, apparently, there is information in it about sexual behaviors of five-year-olds. Isn’t that a little perverse?
7.       7. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith, c. 2009
a.       Actually I read the Graphic novel of this book and laughed a bit but it was so truncated it didn’t count as read the “book”.
b.      I love P and P so much I don’t want it defiled in my mind.
c.       Same thing could be said about Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, etc.
8.       8. Wizard’s First Rule by Terry Goodkind, c.1995
a.       I actually have no opinion personally about this book other than it is LONG and the series is LONGER.
b.      One reviewer hates the book because: “There’s no thought or love for the genre here, just a trite story that lasts too long and drowns itself in a monsoon of fantasy clichés that are actually put to use in better books.”
c.       Since there are so many good fantasy series out there that I haven’t read yet, I’ll skip this one.
9.     9.   Demonic: How the Liberal Mob is Endangering America by Ann Coulter, c. 2011
a.       Actually this should say anything by Ann Coulter.
b.      She is a political hack and hypocritical…and she is NOT funny (but she thinks she is.)
1    10. I’m sure there will be millions of books I will never read
a.       Because I won’t be able to get to them before I die.
b.      Even the longest and hardest classics appeal to me at some level.
c.       So many books, so little time.
d.      Don’t you hate it when you read a book that isn’t that interesting or that well-written when there are other great ones just waiting to be read? It feels like I've wasted my time.


 

1 comment:

  1. I am also a devotee of P&P, but I actually really enjoyed #7. There was something gratifying about Lizzie giving a roundhouse kick to Lady Catherine DeBourgh's head, and there finally is a good reason for why Charlotte settled for Mr. Collins.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.