"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Sunday Salon...Beginning of Banned Books Week

Poster for ALA Banned Books Press Kit
Weather: Cold, rainy, and windy. We watched the progress of the weather front as it moved in yesterday afternoon. As the sky darkened and it began to sprinkle a beautiful, vibrant rainbow decorated the sky.

Today: we move our youngest daughter back to college in Seattle. She begins classes on Wednesday. Right now she is moving around the house finding all the little items that she hasn't rounded up yet. I may not have enough time to finish this post before she is ready to leave.

This past week: It was school as per usual. We are done checking out textbooks so I was able to give library introductions to ninth grade classes. I felt like a REAL librarian especially when the books I talked about were snatched up and checked out.

This coming week: is the American Library Association's Banned Books Week, September 22-28. Every day this week I will post a review or a commentary about banned books, censorship, freedom (freadom) to read. Please come on back and visit often and join in the conversation about our 1st amendment right to read what we want. Here is a link to the ALA Banned Books page.

Currently reading:

  • Orphan Train by Kline...book club selection, club is Wednesday so I hope to have it done by then.
  • Catching Fire by Collins...audiobook. This is my 2nd time through the 2nd book in the Hunger Games series.
  • Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick...a 2014 Mock Printz selection that I haven't read yet.
Books finished this week:
  • Forgive Me , Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick. I will be reviewing this book soon. Come back for it.
  • Pablo Picasso: Yo El Ray by Carmen Bernier-Grand. An art/poetry book about the famous artist. It looks like a children's book but isn't.
Gotta run my daughter up to Seattle now.  Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment.


4 comments:

  1. Orphan Train is a very quick read; you should be able to finish it easily by Wednesday. Hope Carly's move in goes well--always somewhat or very stressful. See you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you're promoting Banned Books week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Anne -

    I am getting ready for Banned Books Week, too.

    How is Orphan Train? I've heard such good things about it! I never have time to read books when they are new :(

    I heard an interview on NPR Radio Times today with Matthew Quick - I wish I had heard the whole thing. Would love to read Leonard Peacock.

    Enjoy your books this week -

    Sue

    Great Books for Kids and Teens

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  4. Banned Book Week. It's so strange that we need to bring attention to it and that books are still banned. We have a fun display about banned books up in the library and the students are quite curious

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.