"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Sunday Salon...September 1st!

Puyallup Riverwalk Tree Sculpture
Weather this past week: has been very weird. It poured on Thursday, and I mean, poured. The next day the news reported that there had actually been a tornado alert...in Western Washington! Yesterday it was sunny and warm but muggy. Ugh. How do people live in places where it is muggy all summer long? I can barely stand it for a day.

Yesterday: My husband and I took the dog on a walk on the Puyallup River Walk. We were shocked to see all the improvements including this sculpture tree.  It is difficult to see in the photo but the tree is full of carved animals and wildlife.  It also has a sweet little door for gnome or pixie to use.  I didn't have a camera with me so I had to grab the photo off Friends of Puyallup Riverwalk Facebook Page. I'm going back with my camera tomorrow.

Today: After church we are heading to Seattle to help our daughter rearrange her apartment so it will be ready for her new roommates to move in. She had a disastrous time last year with weird roommate situations so she is hoping to avoid some of that with proactive steps.

This past week: I spent a majority of my time volunteering at GKHS getting ready for school which starts on Tuesday. On Thursday around noon I thought I was ready with my stuff until I realized that I hadn't checked the little button that said "Processing Needed". We still had 16 textbook orders to transfer to other schools in the district.  Ugh. More work. I didn't finish this task until 2:30 PM on Friday! (Of course, there were lots of interruptions.)

Books read this week:
  • Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass by Meg Medina...interesting title, huh?
  • Darius and Twig by Walter Dean Myers...set in Harlem; a quick read.
  • The Tragedy Papers by Elizabeth LaBan...an audiobook.
Currently reading:
  • Kissing Shakespeare by Pamela Mingle...time travel to the Elizabethan age.
  • Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama...mermaids and family history. Audiobook.
Summer is over, back to school this week: a new school year is here.

I'm praying for: the situation in Syria.



6 comments:

  1. That looks like a lovely tree...

    ...and that is an interesting title. Did it live up to the hype? Was it any good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puyallup is an interesting name. It is an Indian name meaning generous people. It is the name of our hometown.

      Delete
  2. Patt and I did the River walk a few years ago--that tree must be new! Hope C's roommate situation is better this year; dealing/living with people can be tricky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, we were shocked when we came upon the tree. I have no idea how long it has been there. It is at the entrance of the Riverwalk on 4th. St SE

      Delete
  3. That is an absolutely gorgeous tree! I think I could just sit and stare at it all day!! It's one of those trees that is just so mesmerizing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I am going back today to take some pictures. I'll post them soon.

      Delete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.