"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, April 18, 2016

TTT: Humorous books

Hosted at Broke and Bookish

Top Ten Tuesday: These books should make you laugh...

310612
1. The Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
This book is hard to describe. There are hilarious, hilarious parts but while you are laughing you will realize there is a dark undertone. Isn't that always the case with good humor?
11
2. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
This book is not only funny, it is very silly. Consider the names of the characters: Zaphod Beeblebrox; Slartibartfast; Ford Prefect, and Dirk Gently.
16181775
3. The Rosie Project by Graeme  Simsion
Don Tillman, a college professor with undiagnosed Asperger's Syndrome, sets out to find a perfect mate. His foibles will keep you laughing.
6512140
4. Going Bovine by Libba Bray.
Bray has to be one of the funniest YA authors out there. This book is so zany and creative, yet also very poignant.
9791
5. A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
This book is a memoir about Bryson's experiences walking the Appalachian Trail. Bryson is a very funny man and his book reflect it. Also consider his book about Australia, In a Sunburned Country. I can bring up scenes from my memory which make me laugh just to think of them.
2923
6. Winterdance by Gary Paulsen
Another memoir. This one about Paulsen training his dogs and then running the Iditarod race. This is laugh-out-loud stuff. I mean it.
18079719
7. Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith
This guy writes stuff that is way off in left field. His books are so, so zany and different. I guarantee you will laugh and you will cringe. Also try 100 Sideways Miles, The Alex Crow, and Winger. All are fun and funny in their own way.
4728684
8. Couch by Benjamin Parzybok
This is Lord of the Rings, except the ring is a couch, and it is set in Portland, Oregon. This book really appeals to my quirky reading tastes.
9418327
9. Bossypants by Tina Fey
What a funny comedienne and a funny book.
373951
10. Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
My daughters and I can recall lines from this book and laugh about them today as if we read it yesterday. A delight.
7821447
Bonus. Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern
My husband and I read this little book together and just howled with laughter. 


Can't wait to see the lists for this topic on others' blogs.

14 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed The Rosie Project. It was a wonderful book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HHGTTG is a classic, and I don't know why it didn't make my list!! I've also added The Rosie Project to my wishlist after seeing it on a few lists this week. :)

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice selection. Most of them are not on my list but I know a few of them and would have chosen them just as well. I'm especially happy that you also mentioned one of my favourite authors, Bill Bryson. Love all of his writing.

    Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxie is on my TBR list.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Marianne from
    Let's Read

    ReplyDelete
  4. The humor of Confederacy of Dunces was somehow lost on me. I found it more sad than funny. Glad to see someone else included Neil Gaiman!

    http://sittinginthestacks.net/2016/04/10-books-make-laugh/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea Bill Bryson was funny, but I've seen him on a few lists.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never read any of these, but I'll definitely check some of them out!

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going Bovine was great. I'm surprised it's not seen around more often because I know people love the author. I tend to be drawn to books with cows on them which I am finding out with today's topic. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard really good things about The Rosie Project but haven't read it yet! Maybe someday (she repetitively says).

    Thanks so much - as always, for visiting Finding Wonderland, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Rosie Project did make me smile when I read it. Anansi Boys is on my TBR, so this makes me really excited for it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adams and Smith have made so many lists this week! Great picks!

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list! Bryson & Paulsen are both hilarious (have you read Paulsen's latest book of middle-grade essays?), and I LOVED The Rosie Project :)

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the Rosie Project (which I expected) and adored Couch(which I did NOT expect). :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great list with some of my favorites (Rosie Project, anything Bill Bryson and Tina Fey). I am going to add a bunch of these to my TBR because it is so hard to find good humorous books!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.