"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, October 10, 2024

Review: TRANSCENDENT KINGDOM (+Friday56 Sign-in)


Title:
Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi

Book Beginnings quote:
Whenever I think of my mother, I picture a queen-sized bed with her lying in it, a practiced stillness filling the room.
Friday56 quote:
Nana was the first miracle, the true miracle, and the glory of his birth cast a long shadow. I was born into the darkness that shadow left behind.
Summary:
Gifty is a fifth-year candidate in neuroscience at Stanford School of Medicine studying reward-seeking behavior in mice and the neural circuits of depression and addiction. Her brother, Nana, was a gifted high school athlete who died of a heroin overdose after a knee injury left him using pain killers. Her suicidal mother is living in her bed. Gifty is determined to discover the scientific basis for the suffering she sees all around her.

But even as she turns to the hard sciences to unlock the mystery of her family's loss, she finds herself hungering for her childhood faith and grappling with the evangelical church in which she was raised, whose promise of salvation remains as tantalizing as it is elusive. Transcendent Kingdom is a deeply moving portrait of a family of Ghanaian immigrants ravaged by depression and addiction and grief--a novel about faith, science, religion, love. 
Review:  Oh man, this book brought out the high school teacher in me. First I thought I'd want to assign this to my Health-class students so we could talk about many aspects about addiction. Then I thought it would be an excellent resource for my Sociology class so we could study the importance of friendship, what it is like being an immigrant in a foreign land, and the importance of community. Oh, and then it would work for a Psychology class to talk about depression and mental resilience. Lastly I thought it would probably be an excellent book club selection especially for my church-oriented club. There is so much about faith and spirituality in it. And since I am retired and no longer teach social sciences,  I will see if I can talk my book club into reading it. There is so much to discuss! 

Wow, what a story.

My rating: 5 stars



Sign up for The Friday56 on the Inlinkz below. 

RULES:

*Grab a book, any book
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your e-reader (If you want to improvise, go ahead!)
*Find a snippet, but no spoilers!
*Post it to your blog and add your url to the Linky below. If you do not add the specific url for your post, we may miss it! 
*Visit other blogs and leave comments about their snippets. Expand the community. Please leave a comment for me, too!  


Also visit Book Beginnings on Friday hosted by Rose City Reader and First Line Friday hosted by Reading is My Super Power to share the beginning quote from your book.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.