"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, October 7, 2024

TTT: Bookish brags and confessions



Top Ten Tuesday: Bookish Brags and Confessions --- What I have and haven't read!

1. This summer the New York Times published a list of the Top 100 Books of the 21st Century, the list was curated by 504 literary luminaries. I counted and discovered I've only read 38 of the books on the list (two more than I said on the blogpost.) As a voracious reader this seemed like a very low number to me.

2. Then several weeks after the above list was published, the New York Times published a list of the Top 100 Favorite books of the 21st Century, as recommended by readers. This list I have read many more books, I think 73, which feels much better to me.

3. Reader's Digest recently published a list of the 100 best books. I've read 66 of them. Several of the titles are shocking to me, especially in their placement on the list. But it is a list to give me ideas what to read next.

4. Penguins Classics 100 Books Everyone Should Read. Oh, oh. Back to a lower number, only 40 read, many I haven't heard of before which is odd for the books being classics.

5. 20+ Books every high schooler should read before college. Whew. Better. I've read 16 of them, of course, I'm way past college age so I had a head start.

6. Time Magazine's 100 Best YA Books. I've read 66 which is both a brag and a confession. As a teen librarian I think I should have read more but I have been retired for seven years. 

7. Scholastic's 100 Must-Read Children's books. Hmm. The list didn't have pictures. I think I've only read 50 of these books but it may be more. I just didn't know for sure without a visual confirmation.

8. Werd.com Ten Best Sci-Fi novels. Unbelievably I've read 4 of them! I thought it would be just one.

9. The 22 books people brag about reading but they really haven't read them (In other words, lie about reading.). (Buzzfeed.) I really have read thirteen of these books. I'm not lying.

10. New York Times Top Ten Books of 2023. I've read 2 1/2. I didn't finished Bee Sting and only read two of the others. One I liked. The other I didn't. Ha! I'm ending on a confession.

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.