"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, February 5, 2024

TTT: Novellas or Short Books I Recommend


Top Ten Tuesday: 

Novellas or Short Books I Recommend You Read or Reread

I don't often read novellas so I may have to stretch back to my school days to find good choices which I've read. I will hyperlink those I've reviewed.

Train Dreams by Denis Johnson
A Pulitzer Prize Finalist the year no book won the prize. Its an excellent choice at 116 pages!

The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupery
This little gem has been aboud since 1943. It is illustrated but that doesn't mean it is only for children. It is an everybody book. I've read and loved it several times. 96 pages.

We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Okay, I know this is an essay not a novella, but let me recommend that everyone read it. It is only 65 pages long, too.

Recitatif by Toni Morrison
I keep finding writings which aren't novellas. This is a short story but it is by Toni Morrison and is her only published short story. Read it! It is 19 pages long.

The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka
The form, a story about the Japanese Picture Bride experience in the United States, is told by a chorus of voices. It has haunted my brain since I read it. Powerful stuff and only 144 pages long.

Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf
This novella was a book club choice a few years ago. It blew all of us away.. Read it even if it is a few pages longer than the other choices here at 179 pages.

The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder
This book won the Pulitzer Prize in 1928 and it still deserves to be read widely. It is short, 160 pages, but so well done.

The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett
A spoof. What happened when the Queen, QE2, becomes a reader. Fortunately this hilarious book is very short, 144 pages.

The Awakening by Kate Chopin
A tragic feminist story. Published in 1899. 116 pages in this edition.

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and the Horse by Charlie Mackey
I love this illustrated story so much. Not a novella? Oh well, read it anyway and you will thank me! 128 pages.


-Anne


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.