"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, February 19, 2024

TTT: Freeze-framed quotes from books...


I'm skipping today's prompt in favor of listing some book quotes I've recently come across.

Ever feel like you want to freeze-frame a book so you can let a quote play through your brain long enough to digest it? Well, that's what has been happening to me lately. Here are a few that stopped me in my tracks...

This is the quote that started me down this path today:

"Her voice sounded like a communion wafer -- tasteless and light."
--Tess Gunty, The Rabbit Hutch
Followed by this one:

"He wears his testosterone like a strong cologne."
--Tess Gunty, The Rabbit Hutch
Then I decided to check out other books I've recently read for quotes:

“But for all their fuss about 'give me your huddled masses,' Yanks don’t really like refugees,”
― Kate Quinn, The Huntress

“Time is a wheel, vast and indifferent, and when time rolls on and men forget, we face the risk of circling back.”
― Kate Quinn, The Huntress

“OUR LIVES AND the lives of those we love merge to create a river whose current carries us forward from our beginning to our end. Because we are only one part of the whole, the river each of us remembers is different, and there are many versions of the stories we tell about the past. In all of them there is truth, and in all of them a good deal of innocent misremembering.”
― William Kent Krueger, The River We Remember

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― Abraham Verghese, The Covenant of Water

“Philipose quotes Gandhi: 'There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of food.'"
― Abraham Verghese, The Covenant of Water

“English did not just borrow words from other languages; it was stuffed to the brim with foreign influences, a Frankenstein vernacular. And Robin found it incredible, how this country, whose citizens prided themselves so much on being better than the rest of the world, could not make it through an afternoon tea without borrowed goods.”
― R.F. Kuang, Babel

“He made a list: feed, flour, ammunition, soap, beef, candles, faith, hope, charity.”
― Paulette Jiles, News of the World

And this brings me back to the book I'm currently reading...

“You couldn’t go anywhere in this town without bumping into God.”
― Tess Gunty, The Rabbit Hutch
✶✷✸✹❂✵✴

None of these quotes are life-changing, but all gave me a moment's pause. What do you think of them?

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.