"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, May 6, 2021

Review and quotes: THE GIRL WITH THE LOUDING VOICE


Title:
The Girl with the Louding Voice by Abi Daré

Book Beginnings Quote:


Friday56 Quote (page 25):                                                                                                "In

Summary:

The unforgettable, inspiring story of a teenage girl growing up in a rural Nigerian village who longs to get an education so that she can find her “louding voice” and speak up for herself, The Girl with the Louding Voice is a simultaneously heartbreaking and triumphant tale about the power of fighting for your dreams.  Despite the seemingly insurmountable obstacles in her path, Adunni never loses sight of her goal of escaping the life of poverty she was born into so that she can build the future she chooses for herself – and help other girls like her do the same. (From the publisher)

Review: I loved, loved, loved this story of both heartbreak and triumph. Adunni wants more than anything to go to school so she can not only change the circumstances for herself but for other girls in her village who are all destined to marry young, sometimes as second or third wives, and forgo any dreams that they have for themselves. In a culture that does not think of women as equal to men, it is often a very hard life that women have to endure. The quote from page 25 shows how determined Adunni is to make something of herself, to have a "louding voice." She also knows that education is the key that will unlock her future and her dreams.

But all does not go according to plans. Her father stops paying for her education and then she learns that he has essentially sold her to pay his bills to a man who already has two wives. Yet, despite her circumstances Adunni is determined to somehow get back to school.

I listened to the audiobook recording of The Girl With the Louding Voice read by Adjoa Andoh, who is a British-Ghanaian actress. The book is written in vernacular and Ms. Andoh does a wonderful job with it and the Nigerian accent. As Adunni's English is poor, so is the written text on the page. As it improves, so does the writing. At first it is difficult to understand in both the print and the audiobook, but give a few pages (or minutes) and the ears and the brain will catch up. I love the quote from the first page where she talks about her father's "eyesballs." Just imagine how hard it would be to improve your language skills if all you had were a few years of school and no role models speaking it at home. May I suggest that you find a sample of the audiobook and listen to a few minutes of it. I bet you too will be charmed.

Adunni never, ever gave up her dream of going to school. Her determination and kind spirit attracted helpers along her path to guide and assist her. Eventually it all pays off.

This is our May book club selection and I can't wait to talk about it with my friends. Here are some questions that seem like good discussion generators at Bookchat. Beware, however, there are spoilers.

I loved this book and hope everyone reads it. I gave it to my mom for Mother's Day thanking her for being a great role model of a woman with a "louding voice." Thanks, Mom!

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from current book.
Th
e Friday56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56 to share. 

Visit these two websites to participate. Click on links to read quotes from books other people are reading. It is a great way to make blog friends and to get suggestions for new reading material.   
 

(RHS Book Club, May 2021)

-Anne

23 comments:

  1. I have a print copy of the book and there are questions in the back too. I will try to remember to bring it to club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure who is conducting the discussion, but I'm sure they'll find some questions.

      Delete
  2. The Girl with the Louding Voice seems like a good one. I'm glad to hear you liked this one. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so good! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry. Not my thing. I almost always skip things not written in standard English. I"m glad you enjoyed it though. This week I am spotlighting A Peculiar Combination by Ashley Weaver from my review stack. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of trouble reading vernacular, too, that is why I prefer to listen to someone else read it.

      Delete
  5. I adored this book, and found the language change so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know that I am not alone in my estimation of the book.

      Delete
  6. I think I'm going to have to pick this up! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although the excerpts push my buttons, I am cheering for the protagonist to be able to stand her ground and speak up for herself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This isn't my usual genre but your review has me interested. Maybe I can get the audio from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm cheering her on toward an education and the "louding voice" that she wants. My problem is that I should read the many books I already have, rather than adding to the pile. But this does sound promising.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a heartbreaking but inspirational story. I'm going to have to check this one out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review! I may have told you that I tried to read this and put it back on my shelf. But, I've reserved the audio book from my local library on your suggestion and there is a 7 week wait. So, I'll get to this soon-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for highlighting a very interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this book, too! Adunni's story is such an amazing one; she has so much courage and heart. And the things she survived!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love everything about this book, from the sound of the premise, the style of writing, and the characters, right down to that amazing cover art! It is definitely heading for my list, so thanks for the recommendation - Although I will be reading the book, rather than listening to the audio!

    I hope that the next book you choose to read, will be just as good :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like such an inspiring story. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like one that pulls on the heartstrings!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a great book. Adunni sounds amazing. And I love a good survivor story!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes thanks for your review. I will try the audio again ... as I wasn't sure I could hear & understand the dialect well but maybe once I get used to it .... it'll go better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I bought a copy of this one last month based on the review of a blogger friend and I am so glad to see you loved it too! I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.